Plasma flows in crossed magnetic and electric fields
- 29 Downloads
The effect of the magnitude and direction of an external electric field on the plasma flowing through a magnetic barrier is studied by numerically solving two-fluid MHD equations. The drift velocity of the plasma flow and the distribution of the flow electrons over transverse velocities are found to depend on the magnitude and direction of the electric field. It is shown that the direction of the induced longitudinal electric field is determined by the direction of the external field and that the electric current generated by the plasma flow significantly disturbs the barrier field.
KeywordsElectric Current External Field Drift Velocity Plasma Flow External Electric Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.K. D. Sinel’nikov and B. N. Rutkevich, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 37, 56 (1967) [Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys. 12, 37 (1967)].Google Scholar
- 4.N. A. Khizhnyak, I. I. Demidenko, and N. S. Lomino, in Studies of Plasma Bunches, Ed. by V. T. Tolok (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1969), Vol. 4, p. 56 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.K. D. Sinel’nikov, A. G. Dikii, B. N. Rutkevich, et al., in Studies of Plasma Bunches, Ed. by V. T. Tolok (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1969), Vol. 4, p. 123 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.A. G. Dikii, A. Yu. Voloshko, G. A. Silenok-Bel’skii, et al., in Plasma Physics and Controlled Fusion, Ed. by V. T. Tolok (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1971), p. 240 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.A. G. Belikov and N. A. Khizhnyak, Fiz. Plazmy 21, 723 (1995) [Plasma Phys. Rep. 21, 685 (1995)].Google Scholar
- 8.A. A. Kalmykov, in Physics and Applications of Plasma Accelerators, Ed. by A. I. Morozov (Nauka i Tekhnika, Minsk, 1974), p. 48 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.V. M. Bystritskii, S. V. Grigor’ev, and A. V. Kharlov, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 62(12), 163 (1992) [Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys. 37, 1211 (1992)].Google Scholar
- 10.M. S. Ioffe, B. I. Kanaev, and V. P. Pastukhov, Itogi Nauki Tekh., Ser. Fiz. Plazmy 9, 5 (1989).Google Scholar
- 11.S. I. Braginskii, in Reviews of Plasma Physics, Ed. by M. A. Leontovich (Gosatomizdat, Moscow, 1963; Consultants Bureau, New York, 1965), Vol. 1.Google Scholar