Optical rectification effect in nanocarbon films
When a nanocarbon film obtained by plasmachemical deposition is fixed between two parallel electrodes and exposed to the pulsed radiation of a Q-switched neodymium laser, a pulsed electric voltage appears between the electrodes, with the pulse shape repeating the laser pulse envelope. It is shown that the amplitude and polarity of the pulsed voltage strongly depend on the angle of incidence and polarization of laser beam and on the spatial orientation of a carbon film with electrodes relative to the laser beam. The observed phenomenon exhibits all features characteristic of the optical rectification effect. For the optimum spatial orientation of a film, the factor of conversion of the laser pulse power into electric voltage amounted to 500 mV/MW, which is many times greater than the values observed in the case of optical rectification in well-known dielectric nonlinear optical crystals.
KeywordsLaser Pulse Neodymium Pulse Shape Spatial Orientation Electric Voltage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.B. N. Morozov and Yu. M. Aivazyan, Kvantovaya Élektron. (Moscow) 7, 5 (1980) [Sov. J. Quantum Electron. 10, 1 (1980)].Google Scholar
- 4.M. C. Nuss and J. Orenstein, in Millimeter and Submillimeter Wave Spectroscopy of Solids (Springer, Berlin, 1998), pp. 7–50.Google Scholar
- 5.A. N. Obraztsov, A. P. Volkov, A. I. Boronin, and S. V. Koshcheev, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 120, 970 (2001) [JETP 93, 846 (2001)].Google Scholar
- 7.G. M. Mikheev, D. I. Maleev, and T. N. Mogileva, Kvantovaya Élektron. (Moscow) 19, 45 (1992) [Sov. J. Quantum Electron. 22, 37 (1992)].Google Scholar
- 8.G. M. Mikheev, T. N. Mogileva, A. Yu. Popov, and D. G. Kalyuzhnyi, Prib. Tekh. Éksp., No. 2, 101 (2003) [Instrum. Exp. Tech. 46, 233 (2003)].Google Scholar
- 9.G. M. Mikheev, R. G. Zonov, A. N. Obraztsov, and A. P. Volkov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 125, 548 (2004) [JETP 98, 483 (2004)].Google Scholar
- 10.S. A. Akhmanov, V. I. Emel’yanov, N. I. Koroteev, and V. N. Seminogov, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 147, 675 (1985) [Sov. Phys. Usp. 28, 1084 (1985)].Google Scholar