Decay of a turbulent cascade of capillary waves at the surface of liquid hydrogen
Free decay of a turbulent cascade of capillary waves was experimentally studied at the surface of liquid hydrogen after switching off harmonic pumping. It was found that the cascade starts to decay at the high-frequency side of the frequency spectrum and proceeds in the quasi-stationary regime. The characteristic relaxation time of the whole cascade proves to be close to the viscous-damping time of the wave, whose frequency coincides with the surface-excitation frequency.
PACS numbers47.35.+i 47.27.−i
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. Yu. Brazhnikov, G. V. Kolmakov, A. A. Levchenko, and L. P. Mezhov-Deglin, Fiz. Nizk. Temp. 27, 1183 (2001) [Low Temp. Phys. 27, 876 (2001)].Google Scholar
- 2.V. E. Zakharov and N. N. Filonenko, J. Appl. Mech. Tech. Phys. 4, 506 (1967).Google Scholar
- 3.V. E. Zakharov, G. Falkovich, and V. S. L’vov, Kolmogorov Spectra of Turbulence I (Springer, Berlin, 1992).Google Scholar
- 4.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Course of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 6: Fluid Mechanics, 4th ed. (Nauka, Moscow, 1988; Pergamon, New York, 1987).Google Scholar
- 8.G. E. Fal’kovich and A. B. Shafarenko, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 94, 172 (1988) [Sov. Phys. JETP 67, 1393 (1988)].Google Scholar
- 9.M. Yu. Brazhnikov, G. V. Kolmakov, A. A. Levchenko, and L. P. Mezhov-Deglin, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 74, 660 (2001) [JETP Lett. 74, 583 (2001)].Google Scholar
- 10.M. Yu. Brazhnikov, A. A. Levchenko, and L. P. Mezhov-Deglin, Prib. Tekh. Éksp. 45, 31 (2002).Google Scholar
- 11.The Properties of Condensed Phases of Hydrogen and Oxygen, Ed. by B. I. Verkin (Naukova Dumka, Kiev, 1984) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.Shie Qian and Dapang Chen, Joint Time-Frequency Analysis—Methods and Applications (Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, N.J., 1996).Google Scholar
- 13.G. V. Kolmakov, A. A. Levchenko, M. Yu. Brazhnikov, et al., Phys. Rev. Lett. (in press).Google Scholar