Growth of AlGaN epitaxial layers and AlGaN/GaN superlattices by metal-organic chemical vapor deposition
- 53 Downloads
Special features of metal-organic chemical vapor deposition of AlGaN epitaxial layers and AlGaN/GaN superlattices either in an Epiquip VP-50 RP research and development reactor (for a single wafer 2 in. in diameter) or in an AIX2000HT production-scale reactor (for up to six wafers 2 in. in diameter) are stud-ied. It is found that the dependence of the aluminum content in the solid phase on the trimethylaluminum (TMA) flux in a reactor levels off; this effect hinders the growth of the layers with a high aluminum content in both types of reactors and is more pronounced in the larger reactor (AIX2000HT). Presumably, this effect is a consequence of spurious reactions in the vapor phase and depends on the partial pressure of TMA in the reactor. The aluminum content in the layers can be increased not only by reducing the total pressure in the reactor but also by increasing the total gas flow through the reactor and reducing the trimethylgallium flux. The approaches described above were used to grow layers with a mole fraction of AlN as large as 20% in the AIX2000HT production-scale reactor at a pressure of 400 mbar (this fraction was as large as 40% at 200 mbar). AlGaN layers with the entire range of composition were grown in the Epiquip VP-50 RP reactor.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.E. Woelk, G. Strauch, D. Schnitz, and H. Jurgensen, in Proceedings of 1st International Symposium on Blue Laser and Light Emitting Diodes (Chiba, Japan, 1996), p. 514.Google Scholar
- 2.V. Yu. Davydov, A. A. Klochikhin, I. N. Goncharuk, et al., in Proceedings of International Workshop on Nitride Semiconductors (IPAP Conf. Ser., 2000), Vol. 1, p. 665.Google Scholar
- 4.W. V. Lundin, A. S. Usikov, I. L. Krestnikov, et al., in Booklet of the 8th EW-MOVPE (Prague, 1999), p. 49.Google Scholar
- 5.V. V. Lundin, E. E. Zavarin, A. I. Besyul’kin, et al., in Abstracts of 2nd All-Russian Conference on Gallium, Indium, and Aluminum Nitrides: Structures and Devices (St. Petersburg, 2003), p. 93.Google Scholar
- 6.A. V. Sakharov, W. V. Lundin, A. S. Usikov, et al., MRS Internet J. Nitride Semicond. Res. 3, 28 (1998).Google Scholar
- 7.O. E. Tereshchenko, G. É. Shaibler, A. S. Yaroshevich, et al., in Abstracts of VI Russian Conference on the Physics of Semiconductors (St. Petersburg, 2003), p. 462.Google Scholar