Morphology and optical spectra of metal iodate microcrystals in porous matrices
- 48 Downloads
Microcrystals of iodates of mercury, lead, thallium, and bismuth were grown in pores of glass and polymer matrices from solutions or through sublimation in vacuum. Images of these microcrystals embedded in matrices were obtained with an electron microscope. Exciton absorption and luminescence spectra of the microcrystals revealed a strong difference in the temperature regions of stability of the various structural modfications between bulk crystals and microcrystals of some iodates. The absorption and luminescence spectra are broadened inhomogeneously because of considerable size dispersion of the microcrystals and exhibit quantum confinement effects. The exciton emission spectra show that exciton interaction in microcrystals becomes significant at very low optical pumping levels because of efficient excitation transfer from the matrix.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.I. Kh. Akopyan, O. N. Volkova, B. V. Novikov, and B. I. Venzel’, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 39, 468 (1997) [Phys. Solid State 39, 407 (1997)].Google Scholar
- 5.V. F. Agekyan, A. Yu. Serov, and Yu. A. Stepanov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 42, 1786 (2000) [Phys. Solid State 42, 1832 (2000)].Google Scholar
- 6.I. Akai, T. Sato, A. Tanji, et al., J. Lumin. 87–89, 516 (2000).Google Scholar
- 7.I. Kh. Akopyan, B. V. Novikov, M. M. Pimonenko, and B. S. Razbirin, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 17(3), 419 (1973) [JETP Lett. 17, 299 (1973)].Google Scholar
- 9.V. F. Agekyan and A. Yu. Serov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 38, 122 (1996) [Phys. Solid State 38, 65 (1996)].Google Scholar
- 10.A. Yamamoto, H. Nakahara, M. Yoshihara, and T. Goto, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 67, 2120 (1998).Google Scholar
- 12.N. Ohno, K. Nakamura, and Y. Nakai, J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 55, 3659 (1986).Google Scholar
- 15.T. Komatsu, T. Iida, K. Mirayama, et al., Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 37, 218 (1992).Google Scholar
- 16.T. Komatsu, T. Karasawa, I. Akai, and T. Iida, J. Lumin. 70, 448 (1996).Google Scholar
- 17.T. Komatsu, T. Iida, I. Akai, and V. F. Agekyan, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 37, 2433 (1995) [Phys. Solid State 37, 1332 (1995)].Google Scholar