Effect of spatial spin modulation on the relaxation and NMR frequencies of 57Fe nuclei in a ferroelectric antiferromagnet BiFeO3
- 184 Downloads
The 57Fe NMR spectra of the 57Fe-enriched (95.43%) ceramics of a ferroelectric antiferromagnet BiFeO3 with a spatially modulated magnetic structure have been studied. It is established that a cycloidal spin modulation in BiFeO3 causes a spatial modulation of the spin-spin relaxation rate along the magnetic cycloid period and results in inhomogeneous broadening of the local NMR lineshape. It is also found that the local magnetic moments of Fe ions in various parts of the cycloid depend differently on the temperature, which is indicative of a difference in the spin wave excitation. The observed phenomena can be explained in terms of the Shul-Nakamura indirect nuclear interaction which becomes effective at high concentrations of the magnetoactive nuclei and low temperatures. Similarity of the obtained experimental results to the regularities of NMR in the Bloch walls is discussed.
KeywordsBiFeO3 Spin Wave Spatial Modulation Nuclear Interaction Spin Modulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.I. Sosnowska and A. K. Zvezdin, J. Magn. Magn. Mat. 140–144, 167 (1995).Google Scholar
- 4.M.-M. Tehranchi, N. F. Kubrakov, and A. K. Zvezdin, Ferroelectrics 204, 181 (1997).Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. F. Popov, A. K. Zvezdin, G. P. Vorob’ev, et al., Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 57, 65 (1993) [JETP Lett. 57, 69 (1993)].Google Scholar
- 6.Yu. F. Popov, A. M. Kadomtseva, G. P. Vorob’ev, and A. K. Zvezdin, Ferroelectrics 162, 135 (1994).Google Scholar
- 9.A. V. Zalesskii, A. K. Zvezdin, A. A. Frolov, and A. A. Bush, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 71, 682 (2000) [JETP Lett. 71, 465 (2000)].Google Scholar
- 10.A. A. Gippius, Doctoral Dissertation in Physics and Mathematics (Mosk. Gos. Univ., Moscow, 2001).Google Scholar
- 12.A. S. Karnachev, Yu. I. Klechin, N. M. Kovtun, et al., Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 78, 1176 (1980) [Sov. Phys. JETP 51, 592 (1980)].Google Scholar
- 15.E. A. Turov and M. P. Petrov, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance in Ferro-and Antiferromagnets (Nauka, Moscow, 1969; Wiley, New York, 1972).Google Scholar
- 16.A. I. Popov, G. A. Esina, and A. K. Zvezdin, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 38, 3091 (1996) [Phys. Solid State 38, 1691 (1996)].Google Scholar