Localized electromagnetic modes and the transmission spectrum of a one-dimensional photonic crystal with lattice defects
- 42 Downloads
The properties of localized electromagnetic modes in a one-dimensional photonic crystal with a structural defect layer were studied. The role of the defect was played by an anisotropic nematic liquid crystal layer. The frequency and the damping factor of defect modes were shown to substantially depend on the defect layer thickness and the orientation of the optical axis of the nematic. The transmission spectra of photonic crystals with one and two lattice defects were studied. Taking into account the special feature of nematic liquid crystals distinguishing them from usual crystals, namely, large permittivity anisotropy, it was shown that the transmission spectrum of the photonic crystal could be controlled by varying the orientation of the optical axis of the nematic, for instance, under the action of an external electric field.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. Joannopoulos, R. Meade, and J. Winn, Photonic Crystals (Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, 1995).Google Scholar
- 9.A. M. Zheltikov, S. A. Magnitskii, and A. V. Tarasishin, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 70, 323 (1999) [JETP Lett. 70, 323 (1999)].Google Scholar
- 10.A. M. Zheltikov, S. A. Magnitskii and A. V. Tarasishin, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 117, 691 (2000) [JETP 90, 600 (2000)].Google Scholar
- 11.M. Bayinder, B. Temelkuran, and E. Ozbay, Phys. Rev. B 61, R11855 (2000).Google Scholar
- 13.M. V. Alfimov, A. M. Zheltikov, A. A. Ivanov, et al., Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 71, 714 (2000) [JETP Lett. 71, 489 (2000)].Google Scholar
- 21.S. Ya. Vetrov and A. V. Shabanov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 101, 1340 (1992) [Sov. Phys. JETP 74, 719 (1992)].Google Scholar
- 22.I. O. Bogul’skii, S. Ya. Vetrov, and A. V. Shabanov, Opt. Spektrosk. 84, 823 (1998) [Opt. Spectrosc. 84, 742 (1998)].Google Scholar
- 23.K.-Q. Chen, X.-H. Wang, and B.-Y. Gu, Phys. Rev. B 61, 12 075 (2000).Google Scholar
- 25.V. Ya. Zyryanov and V. Sh. Épshtein, Prib. Tekh. Éksp., No. 2, 164 (1987).Google Scholar
- 26.A. Yariv and P. Yeh, in Optical Waves in Crystals: Propagation and Control of Laser Radiation (Wiley, New York, 1984; Mir, Moscow, 1987), p. 169.Google Scholar