Theory of the resonant properties of electrons localized on the surface of liquid helium
- 26 Downloads
The problem of the shape of the line of optical transition of an electron between bound states on the surface of liquid helium is solved within the independent boson model. Such bound states are realized, for example, in the potential of a positively charged impurity located on a substrate or in the field of a He+ ion located beneath the surface. Reference is made to the importance of the relaxation processes of the dimple on the helium surface under the electron. The adiabatic approximation, in the case of which the dimple does not change during the time of electron transition, is not always valid. At low temperatures, two maxima may appear on the absorption line. It is demonstrated that the far tails of the optical absorption line feature a universal (Urbach rule) exponential dependence on the electron transition energy.
KeywordsSpectroscopy State Physics Helium Field Theory Elementary Particle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. B. Shikin and Yu. P. Monarkha, Two-dimensional Charged Systems in Helium (Nauka, Moscow, 1989).Google Scholar
- 3.V. S. Édel’man, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 24, 510 (1976) [JETP Lett. 24, 468 (1976)].Google Scholar
- 4.P. D. Grigor’ev, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 66, 630 (1997) [JETP Lett. 66, 630 (1997)].Google Scholar
- 5.G. D. Mahan, Many-Particle Physics (Plenum, New York, 1990).Google Scholar
- 7.I. S. Gradshteyn and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products (Nauka, Moscow, 1971; Academic, New York, 1980).Google Scholar
- 8.Higher Transcendental Functions (Bateman Manuscript Project), Ed. by A. Erdelyi (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1953; Nauka, Moscow, 1973), Vol. 1.Google Scholar
- 9.V. S. Édel’man, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 77, 673 (1979) [Sov. Phys. JETP 50, 338 (1979)].Google Scholar
- 10.B. I. Shklovskii and A. L. Efros, Electronic Properties of Doped Semiconductors (Nauka, Moscow, 1979; Springer-Verlag, New York, 1984), pp. 365, 366.Google Scholar
- 11.A. M. Dyugaev, A. S. Rozhavskii, I. D. Vagner, and P. Wyder, Pis’ma Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 67, 410 (1998) [JETP Lett. 67, 434 (1998)].Google Scholar