An analysis of acoustic oscillations in dust plasma structures
- 57 Downloads
Low-frequency oscillations in the density of dust particles, which are spontaneously excited in the standing plasma column of a dc glow discharge in neon, were experimentally studied. The longitudinal waves were monitored by a special visualization technique, and the dust sound oscillation characteristics were determined and analyzed using specially developed algorithm and data processing software. It was established that the longitudinal waves propagate from anode to cathode, the frequency and wavevector of the dust sound oscillations being dependent on the discharge current, gas pressure, particle density in the dust cloud, and spatial coordinates. Two-dimensional (2D) fields of the main wave characteristics were studied using an original algorithm. The possible mechanisms of excitation of the dust sound oscillations is discussed. The experimental spatial distributions of the wave parameters are compared to the patterns obtained within the framework of various theoretical models.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. N. Tsytovich, Usp. Fiz. Nauk 167, 57 (1997) [Phys. Usp. 40, 53 (1997)].Google Scholar
- 23.V. I. Molotkov, A. P. Nefedov, V. M. Torchinskii, et al., Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 116, 902 (1999) [JETP 89, 477 (1999)].Google Scholar
- 27.A. M. Lipaev, V. I. Molotkov, A. P. Nefedov, et al., Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 112, 2030 (1997) [JETP 85, 1110 (1997)].Google Scholar
- 28.Yu. B. Golubovskii, S. U. Nisimov, and I. E. Suleimenov, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 64(10), 54 (1994) [Tech. Phys. 39, 1005 (1994)]; Yu. B. Golubovskii and S. U. Nisimov, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 65 (1), 46 (1995) [Tech. Phys. 40, 24 (1995)].Google Scholar
- 30.O. M. Belotserkovskii, I. E. Zakharov, A. P. Nefedov, et al., Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 115, 819 (1999) [JETP 88, 449 (1999)].Google Scholar
- 31.V. Tsytovich, S. Benkada, and S. Vladimirov, Plasma Phys. Controlled Fusion 34, 123 (1999).Google Scholar
- 32.G. Nicolis and I. Prigogine, Self-Organization in Non-Equilibrium Systems (Wiley, New York, 1977; Mir, Moscow, 1979).Google Scholar
- 33.R. K. Dodd, J. C. Eilbeck, J. Gibbon, and H. C. Morris, Solitons and Nonlinear Wave Equations (Academic Press, New York, 1982; Mir, Moscow, 1988).Google Scholar
- 34.T. Akhromeeva, S. Kurdyumov, and G. Malinetskii, in Computers and Nonlinear Phenomena (Nauka, Moscow, 1988), p. 44.Google Scholar
- 35.O. S. Vaulina, A. P. Nefedov, O. F. Petrov, and V. E. Fortov, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 118, 1325 (2000) [JETP 91, 1147 (2000)].Google Scholar