D’yakonov-Shur instability in a ballistic field-effect transistor with a spatially nonuniform channel
- 81 Downloads
The instability of a two-dimensional electronic liquid in the channel of a ballistic field-effect transistor is analyzed by investigating the energy balance. A criterion of instability is found for arbitrary boundary conditions. Using energy-balance analysis we propose a device with a high instability growth rate. The transistor possesses a spatially nonuniform channel and is analogous to a divergent channel in classical hydrodynamics. Our computed growth rate and threshold of the instability for this device agree with the computational data.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.M. V. Cheremisin, M. I. Dyakonov, M. S. Shur, and G. G. Samsonidze, Proceedings ISDRS’97 (Solid-State Electron., 1998), p. 485.Google Scholar
- 3.L. D. Landau and E. E. Lifshitz, Fluid Mechanics (Pergamon, N. Y., 1966).Google Scholar
- 4.V. L. Streeter and E. B. Whylie, Fluid Mechanics (McGraw Hill, N. Y., 1985).Google Scholar
- 5.M. Shur, Physics of Semiconductor Devices (Engelwood Cliffs, N. J., Prentice-Hall, 1990).Google Scholar
- 6.M. V. Cheremisin and G. G. Samsonidze, Proceedings ISPC24 (Jerusalem, 1998); Proc. CMD17-JMC6 (Grenoble, 1998).Google Scholar
- 7.M. I. Dyakonov and M. S. Shur, Phys. Rev. B 51, 14341 (1995).Google Scholar
- 8.A. P. Dmitriev, V. Yu. Kachorovskii, and A. S. Furman, Phys. Rev. B 54, 14020 (1996).Google Scholar
- 9.M. I. Dyakonov and M. S. Shur, IEEE Trans. Electron Devices 43, 380 (1996).Google Scholar