Light scattering by electrons in the excitonic absorption region of GaAs
- 27 Downloads
A study has been made of the effect of the additional generation of photoexcited electrons on the excitonic absorption and luminescence spectra of ultrapure GaAs samples at T=2 K. The observed increase in the absorption coefficient for the ground (n=1) excitonic state is shown to originate from the polariton character of the energy spectrum of this state and to be due to an increase of polariton damping. The increased damping observed under electron generation is caused by polariton scattering from hot electrons as the latter undergo thermalization. As a result, the polaritons are heated. The changes observed in the luminescence spectra are produced by the reverse effect of electron heating and polariton cooling.
KeywordsSpectroscopy State Physics Absorption Coefficient GaAs Light Scattering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.J. Aaviksoo, I. Reimand, V. V. Rossin, and V. V. Travnikov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (St. Petersburg) 36, 1470 (1994) [Phys. Solid State 36, 804 (1994)].Google Scholar
- 8.Yu. V. Zhilyaev, G. R. Markaryan, V. V. Rossin, T. V. Rossina, and V. V. Travnikov, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (Leningrad) 28, 2688 (1986) [Sov. Phys. Solid State 28, 1506 (1986)].Google Scholar
- 10.É. I. Rashba, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. 8, 124 (1974) [Sov. Phys. Semicond. 8, 807 (1974)].Google Scholar
- 11.A. V. Varfolomeev, R. P. Seysyan, and Yu. L. Shelekhin, Fiz. Tekh. Poluprovodn. 10, 1063 (1976) [Sov. Phys. Semicond. 10, 632 (1976)].Google Scholar
- 15.V. V. Travnikov and V. V. Krivolapchuk, Zh. Éksp. Teor. Fiz. 85, 2087 (1983) [Sov. Phys. JETP 58, 1210 (1983)].Google Scholar
- 17.V. V. Travnikov and V. V. Krivolapchuk, Fiz. Tverd. Tela (Leningrad) 28, 1210 (1986) [Sov. Phys. Solid State 28, 679 (1986)].Google Scholar