Inhibitory effects of seaweeds on histamine release from rat basophile leukemia cells (RBL-2H3)
- 182 Downloads
The effects of 80% methanol extracts from frozen samples of 41 macroalgae and one sea grass collected in the Ise-Shima region of Japan were investigated on histamine release from rat basophile leukemia cells (RBL-2H3) sensitized with antidinitrophenyl (DNP) IgE and stimulated with DNP-BSA. Of the 21 brown algae, five green and 15 red algae, and one sea grass tested, only extracts from seven brown algae suppressed histamine release from RBL cells, as determined by highperformance liquid chromatography (HPLC) analysis. When the cytotoxic effects of the seven brown algal extracts were investigated by Trypan blue staining, only Eisenia arborea and Sargassum thunbergil did not show cytotoxic effects. Therefore, we conclude that E. arborea and S. thunbergii may contain compounds that have antiallergic effects without inducing cell death.
Key Wordsbrown algae cytotoxic effect histamine release RBL-2H3 cells
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Ishikura Y, Suwa Y, Okada T, Kono S. Anti-allergic effects of Rubus suavissimus extract. Jpn. J. Inflamm 1995; 15: 167–173 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 8.Terao K, Tachi I, Nakata D inventors; Cyclochem Co., Ltd assignee. A clinical drug or food to inhibit a production of IgE antibody. Japan Kokai Tokkyo Koho. P2006-8568A 2006; 12 January (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 11.Asada M, Sugiue M, Inoue M, Nakagomi K, Hongo S, Murata K, Irie S, Takeuchi T, Tomizuka N, Oka S. Inhibitory effect of alginic acids on hyaluronidase and on histamine release from mast cells. Biosci. Biotechn Biochem. 1997; 61: 1030–1032.Google Scholar
- 20.Kaekgawa H, Matsumoto H, Endo K, Satoh T, Nonaka G, Nishioka I. Inhibitory effects of tannins on hyaluronidase activation and on the degranulation from rat mesentery mast cells. Chem. Pharm. Bull. 1985; 33: 5079–5082.Google Scholar
- 22.Nakamura T, Nagayama K, Uchida T, Tanaka R. Antioxidant activity of phlorotannins isolated from brown alga Eisenia bicyclis. Fish. Sci. 1996; 62: 923–926.Google Scholar
- 23.Nakamura H, Yamaguchi S, Hayashi T, Baba M, Okada Y, Tanaka J, Tokuda H, Nishino H, Okuyama T. Studies on the biological activities of marine algae (III) Anti-tumor promoting activity and inhibitory effect on aldose reductase. Nat. Med. 1997; 51: 162–169 (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 24.Kobayashi A, Hashimoto M, Nakano T, Tamura S, Hidano N inventors; Nagase & Co., Ltd. and Riken Vitamin Co., Ltd assignees. A clinical drug or food to inhibit a production of IgE antibody. Japan Kokai Tokkyo Koho, P2001-31585A. 2001; 6 February (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- 25.Iwahori Y, Enomoto S, Okada Y, Tanaka J, Okuyama T. Naturally occurring substances of prevention of complications of diabetes (IV) Screening of sea vegetables for inhibitory effect on aldose reductase. Nat. Med. 1999; 53: 138–140.Google Scholar