On Inference of Overlapping Coefficients in Two Lomax Populations Using Different Sampling Methods
This paper investigates point and interval estimation for some well-known measures of overlap. Two types of sampling procedures, namely, Simple Random Sample and Ranked Set Sample from two Lomax populations with different shape parameters are considered. Simulation studies are conducted to get insight on the performance of the proposed estimators. Taylor series approximations as well as bootstrap method are used to construct confidence intervals for those measures.
AMS Subject Classification62F10 62F12
Key-wordsBootstrap method Matusita’s measure Morisita’s measure Weitzman’s measure Overlap measures Taylor expansion Ranked set sampling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Al-Saleh, M.F., Samawi, H.M., 2007. Inference on overlapping coefficients in two exponential populations. Journal of Modern Statistical Science, 6(2), 503–516.Google Scholar
- Bradley, E.L., Piantadosi, S., 1982. The overlapping coefficient as a measure of agreement between distributions. Technical Report, Department of Biostatistics and Biomathematics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL.Google Scholar
- Clemons, T.E., 1996. The overlapping coefficient for two normal probability functions with unequal variances. Unpublished Thesis, Department of Biostatistics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, AL.Google Scholar
- Federer, W.T., Powers, L.R., Payne, M.G., 1963. Studies on statistical procedures applied to chemical genetic data from sugar beets. Technical Bulletin 77, Agricultural Experimentation Station, Colorado State University.Google Scholar
- MacArthur, R.H., 1972. Geographical Ecology. Harper and Row, New York.Google Scholar
- Morisita, M., 1959. Measuring of interspecific association and similarity between communities. Memoirs of the Faculty of Science of Kyushu University, Series E., Biology, 3, 65–80.Google Scholar
- Mulekar, M.S., Gonzales, S., Aryal, S., 2001. Estimation and inference for the overlap of two exponential distributions. 2001 Proceedings of American Statistical Association, Joint Statistical Meetings.Google Scholar
- Reiser, B., Faraggi, D., 1999. Confidence intervals for the overlapping coefficient: the normal equal variance case. The statistician, 48, Part 3, 413–418.Google Scholar
- Samawi, H.M., Al-Saleh, M.F., 2008. Inference on overlapping coefficients in two exponential populations using ranked set sample. Communication of the Korean Statistical Society, 15(2), 147–159.Google Scholar
- Weitzman, M.S., 1970. Measures of overlap of income distributions of white and negro families in the united states. Technical paper No. 22, Department of Commerce, Bureau of Census, Washington. U.S.Google Scholar