Significantly increased antibody response to heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins in cerebrospinal fluid of multiple sclerosis patients but not in patients with human T-lymphotropic virus type I—associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis
- 86 Downloads
It has been reported that antibodies (Abs) against heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoproteins (hnRNPs) are associated with human T-lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-I)—associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis (HAM/TSP) and multiple sclerosis (MS). However, these studies were done under nonmasked conditions. In order to determine whether Abs against hnRNPs associate with HAM/TSP and MS, the authors assayed Abs against two major hnRNPs, hnRNP A1 and A2/B1, in 105 cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) samples under fully masked conditions. Samples included 40 cases of HAM/TSP, 28 of MS, and 37 of other neurological diseases. Anti-hnRNP A1 Abs, and especially anti-hnRNP A2/B1 Abs, were found significantly more often in the CSF of MS patients than in other groups. However, there was no difference in the incidence of anti-hnRNP A1 Abs between HAM/TSP and other disease groups.
Keywordsanti-hnRNP A1 antibody anti-hnRNP A2/B1 antibody cerebrospinal fluid HTLV-I—associated myelopathy/tropical spastic paraparesis multiple sclerosis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Hassfeld W, Steiner G, Studnicka-Benke A, Skriner K, Graninger W, Fischer I, Smolen JS (1995). Autoimmune response to the spliceosome. An immunologic link between rheumatoid arthritis, mixed connective tissue disease and systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 38: 777–785.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Izumo S, Goto I, Itoyama Y, Okajima T, Watanabe S, Kuroda Y, Araki S, Mori M, Nagataki S, Matsukura S, Akamine T, Nakagawa M, Yamamoto I, Osame M (1996). Interferon-alpha is effective in HTLV-I-associated myelopathy: a multicenter, randomized, double-blind, controlled trial. Neurology 46: 1016–1021.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- McDonald WI, Compston A, Edan G, Goodkin D, Hartung HP, Lublin FD, McFarland HF, Paty DW, Polman CH, Reingold SC, Sandberg-Wollheim M, Sibley W, Thompson A, van den Noort S, Weinshenker BY, Wolinsky JS (2001). Recommended diagnostic criteria for multiple sclerosis: guidelines from the International Panel on the diagnosis of multiple sclerosis. Ann Neurol 50: 121–127.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Osame M (1990). Review of WHO Kagoshima Meeting and Diagnostic guidelines for HAM/TSP. In: Human retrovirology: HTLV, 1st ed. Blattner WA (ed). New York: Raven Press, pp 191–197.Google Scholar
- Steiner G, Hartmuth K, Skriner K, Maurer-Fogy I, Sinski A, Thalmann E, Hassfeld W, Barta A, Smolen JS (1992). Purification and partial sequencing of the nuclear autoantigen RA33 shows that it is indistinguishable from the A2 protein of the heterogeneous nuclear ribonucleoprotein complex. J Clin Invest 90: 1061–1066.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar