Heterothallism among South Australian clonal lines of Uncinula necator
- 44 Downloads
The existence of two mating types and heterothallism among South Australian clonal lines of Uncinula necator was confirmed. An in vitro mating system for U. necator was established for identifying mating type and for future use in genetic studies. Cleistothecia, containing viable ascospores, formed on micropropagated grapevines in vitro following co-inoculation of two clonal lines of U. necator of opposite mating type. Specific incubation conditions were required, however, for the initiation of cleistothecia. These findings are discussed in relation to potential mechanisms regulating sexual reproduction. Among 20 clonal lines from South Australia tested, ten lines were identified as the ’plus’ mating type and seven lines were identified as the ’minus’ mating type. The mating type of the remaining three clonal lines has not been confirmed. Six of the 17 lines were paired in all possible combinations, and cleistothecia formed in all pairings where they were expected to occur for a heterothallic ascomycete with two mating types. Ascospores recovered from these controlled crosses produced typical colonies of U. necator when germinated on detached gmpevine leaves.
Additional keywordspowdery mildew grapevine mating type population genetics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Evans,K.J., Whisson, D.L., Stummer,B.E. and Scott, E.S. (1997) — DNA markers identify variation in Australian populations of Uncinula necator. Mycological Research 101: (In press).Google Scholar
- Fry, W.E., Goodwin, S.B., Dyer, A.T., Matuszak, J.M., Drenth, A., Tooley, P.W., Sujkowski, L.S., Koh, Y.J., Cohen, B.A., Spielman, L.J., Deahl, K.L., Inglis, D.A. and Sandlan, K.P. (1993) — Historical and recent migrations of Phytophthora in festans: Chronology, pathways, and implications. Plant Disease 77: 653–661.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gubler, W.D., Ypema, H.L., Ouimette, D.G. and Bettiga, L.J. (1994) -Resistance of Uncinula necator to DM1 fungicides in California vines. In Fungicide Resistance (Eds S. Heany, D. Slawson, D.W. Hollomon, M. Smith, P.E. Russell and D.W. Parry), pp. 19-25. British Crop Protection Council Monograph No. 60.Google Scholar
- Steva, H. (1994) — Evaluating anti-resistance strategies for control of Uncinula necator. In Fungicide Resistance (Eds S. Heany, D. Slawson, D.W. Hollomon, M. Smith, P.E. Russell and D.W. Parry), pp. 59–66. British Crop Protection Council Monograph No. 60.Google Scholar
- Wicks, T.J., Magarey, P.A. and Emmett, R.W. (1985) — First report of Uncinula necator cleistothecia on grapevines in Australia. Plant Disease 69: 727.Google Scholar