Never mind the Brexit? Britain, Europe, the world and Brexit
- First Online:
Britain’s vote to withdraw from the EU came as an unexpected shock to many in the UK, the rest of the EU and around the world. The UK and the remaining EU now face a fraught and potentially lengthy period of negotiations to settle Brexit. How might this change Europe? And how might it change the rest of the world’s views of Europe? This article looks at how Brexit could shape worldviews of Europe. It does so firstly by looking at the international and European roles Britain sees for itself and how the rest of Europe views those roles. The article then turns to views of both the UK and the EU from the USA, Russia and China. It argues that neither the UK nor the EU should overlook how external perceptions of Europe, the UK and Brexit matter because they will determine the strategic context in which the Brexit negotiations unfold.
KeywordsBREXIT Europe UK Negotiations USA Russia China
- Daddow, O., and T. Oliver. 2016. A not so awkward partner: The UK has been a champion of many causes in the EU. LSE Brexit blog. http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexitvote/2016/04/15/a-not-so-awkward-partner-the-uk-has-been-a-champion-of-many-causes-in-the-eu/. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Dahrendorf, R. 1969. The social function of the “Fool” in the twentieth century. In On intellectuals on intellectuals: Theoretical studies, ed. P. Rieff. New York: Doubleday.Google Scholar
- George, S. 1988. An awkward partner: Britain in the European Community. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Getmanchuk, A. 2015. Ukraine: Brexit would damage Ukrainian hopes for a European future. LSE Brexit Blog. http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2015/12/04/views-on-the-uks-renegotiation-russia-ukraine-and-turkey/. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Gromyko, A. 2015. Russia: A new twist for an awkward partnership. LSE Brexit Blog. http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2015/12/04/views-on-the-uks-renegotiation-russia-ukraine-and-turkey/. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Jones, B. 2016. European view: Modern dilemmas in the old world. In New Challenges, new voices: Next generation viewpoints on transatlantic relations, ed. Oliver, T. London: LSE IDEAS. http://www.lse.ac.uk/IDEAS/publications/reports/pdf/New-Challenges,-New-Voices.pdf. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Korteweg, R. 2014. The Netherlands. In: The United Kingdom and the European Union: What would a “Brexit” mean for the EU and other States around the World? ed. Möller, A. Oliver, T. Berlin: Deutsche Gesellschaft für auswärtige Politik e.V. https://dgap.org/en/article/getFullPDF/25763. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- NATO. 2012. Financial and economic data relating to NATO Defence. NATO: Brussels. http://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/pdf_2012_04/20120413_PR_CP_2012_047_rev1.pdf. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- NATO. 2016. Defence expenditures of NATO countries (2009–2016). NATO: Brussels. http://www.nato.int/nato_static_fl2014/assets/pdf/pdf_2016_07/20160704_160704-pr2016-116.pdf. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Oliver, T. 2016a. Brexit is about Europe, not Britain. UK in a Changing Europe blog. http://ukandeu.ac.uk/brexit-is-about-europe-not-britain/. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Oliver, T. 2016b. What impact would a Brexit have on the EU? Dahrendorf Analysis, LSE IDEAS: London. http://www.dahrendorf-forum.eu/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Dahrendorf-Analysis_Brexit_Tim_Oliver.pdf. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Oliver, T., and M. Williams. 2017. Making the ‘Special Relationship’ great again?. London: LSE IDEAS.Google Scholar
- ONS. 2015. How important is the European Union to UK trade and investment? London: Office for National Statistics. http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160105160709 / http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/international-transactions/outward-foreign-affiliates-statistics/how-important-is-the-european-union-to-uk-trade-and-investment-/sty-eu.html. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Pfeifer, F. 2016. Filling the void—What does Brexit mean for a common EU defence policy? Dahrendorf Forum. http://www.dahrendorf-forum.eu/filling-the-void-what-does-brexit-mean-for-a-common-eu-defence-policy/. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Pfeifer, F., and M. Sus. 2016. Taking stock of the Dahrendorf Foresight Project—Brexit scenarios. Dahrendorf Forum. http://www.dahrendorf-forum.eu/taking-stock-of-the-dahrendorf-foresight-project-brexit/. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Quinn, A. 2017. Trump as Brexit Britain’s BFF? remember: For him talk is cheap. UK in a Changing Europe blog. http://ukandeu.ac.uk/trump-as-brexit-britains-bff-remember-for-him-talk-is-cheap/. Accessed 26 Jan 2017.
- Rosamond, B. 2016. Brexit and the problem of European disintegration. Journal of Contemporary European Research 12 (4): 864–871.Google Scholar