civic participation and soft social capital: evidence from Greece
- 7 Downloads
The study analyses the stock and the change of social capital in Greece at the onset of the economic crisis and tests for the effect of soft social capital elements on civic participation scores. Public servants are analysed separately as a potentially distinct group of citizens in terms of their civic engagement profile. At the empirical level, we identify social capital via the measurement of six main constructs, namely, social trust, social altruism, equality, tolerance, humanitarianism (soft social capital elements) and civic participation (a hard social capital element). Data are drawn from the European Social Value surveys Rounds 4 and 5. Results show that the country experienced a statistically significant decline in its social capital level during the 2008–2010 period, although public servants show higher (albeit also declining) levels of social capital. More importantly, soft social capital constructs do affect civic participation scores for the society as a whole but not for public servants.
Keywordscivic participation social capital civic culture trust public servants
- Bitros, G.C. (2013) ‘From riches to rags or what went wrong in Greece, Journal of Economic and Social Measurement 38(1): 5–39.Google Scholar
- Christoforou, A. (2005) ‘On the determinants of social capital in Greece compared to countries of the European Union’, Nota di Lavoro, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei, No. 68.2005.Google Scholar
- Daskalopoulou, I. (2016a) ‘Social capital at the outburst of the economic crisis in Greece, 2008–2010’, International Journal of Business and Economic Sciences Applied Research (IJBESAR) 9(2): 79–86.Google Scholar
- Daskalopoulou, I. (2016b) ‘Rent seeking or corruption? An analysis of income satisfaction and perceptions of institutions in Greece’, Social Science Journal 53: 477–485.Google Scholar
- Daskalopoulou, I. (2016c) ‘Democracy and social capital in Greece’, Business and Entrepreneurship Journal 6(1): 15–26.Google Scholar
- Demertzis, N. (2006) ‘Trust as a social emotion’, Science and Society. Journal of Political and Moral Theory 16: 39–67 [in Greek].Google Scholar
- Economakis, G., Rizopoulos, Y. and Sergakis, D. (2010) ‘Patterns of corruption’, EAST–WEST Journal of Economics and Business 13(2): 11–31.Google Scholar
- Fukuyama, F. (1999) ‘Social capital and civil society’, paper presented at the IMF Conference on Second Generation Reforms, November 8–9, Washington, DC: IMF.Google Scholar
- Huliaras, A. (2014) ‘The dynamics of civil society in Greece: Creating civic engagement from the top’, Jean Monnet Papers on Political Economy, no. 10/2014, University of Peloponnese, Greece.Google Scholar
- Kazakos, P. (2006) ‘Social capital and collective action: Implications for economic structures, performance and reform. Case study Greece’, Science and Society. Journal of Political and Moral Theory 16: 107–138. [in Greek].Google Scholar
- Koniordos, S.M. (2006) ‘Social capital: between theoretical clarity and confusion’, Science and Society. Journal of Political and Moral Theory 16: 1–38. [in Greek].Google Scholar
- Lyberaki, A. and Paraskevopoulos, C.J. (2001) ‘Social capital measurement in Greece’, paper presented at OECD-ONS International Conference on Social Capital Measurement, London, UK, September 25–27. http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.201.8686&rep=rep1&type=pdf. Accessed 1 February 2017.
- Moutos, T. and Pechlivanos, L. (2015) ‘Rent-seeking in a time of austerity: Greece’, CESifo DICE Report 13(3): 38–43.Google Scholar
- Norris, P. (2001) ‘Making democracies work: social capital and civic engagement in 47 societies’, No. rwp01-036. https://www.hks.harvard.edu/fs/pnorris/Acrobat/MPSA%20Making%20Democracies%20Work.pdf. Accessed 1 February 2017.
- Pagoulatos, G. and Kastritis, P. (2013) ‘Theorizing and assessing civil society: a review of approaches’, Jean Monnet Papers on Political Economy, no. 03/2013, University of Peloponnese, Greece.Google Scholar
- Paraskevopoulos, C. (2007) ‘Social capital and public policy in Greece’, The Hellenic Observatory, GreeSE Paper No 9. http://eprints.lse.ac.uk/5610/1/GreeSE%2520No9.pdf.
- Putnam, R.D. (1993) ‘The prosperous community: Social capital and public life’, The American Prospect 4(13): 35–42.Google Scholar
- Rontos, K. and Vavouras, I. (2015) ‘The pillars of corruption control worldwide: differences between rich and poor countries’, EAST–WEST Journal of Economics and Business 18(2): 105–126.Google Scholar
- Rontos, K., Sioussiouras, P. and Vavouras, I. (2012) ‘An incentive model of corruption in the Mediterranean and Balkan region’, International Journal of Latest Trends in Finance and Economic Sciences 2(2): 99–110.Google Scholar
- Rontos, K., Syrmali, M.E. and Vavouras, I. (2015) ‘The determinants of governance: a global analysis’, International Journal of Latest Trends in Finance and Economic Sciences 5(2): 868–877.Google Scholar
- Sotiropoulos, D.A. (1993) ‘A colossus with feet of clay: the state in post-authoritarian Greece’, in H. Psomiades and S. Thomadakis (eds) Greece, the New Europe, and the Changing International Order, New York: Pella, pp. 349–365.Google Scholar
- Sotiropoulos, D.A. (2004) ‘Two faces of politicization of the civil service: the case of contemporary Greece’, in B.G. Peters and J. Pierre (eds) The Politicization of the Civil Service in Comparative Perspective: A quest for control, London: Routledge, pp. 257–282.Google Scholar
- Sotiropoulos, D.A. (2006) ‘Old problems and new challenges: the enduring and changing functions of Southern European state bureaucracies’, in R. Gunther, P. N. Diamandouros and D.A. Sotiropoulos (eds) Democracy and the State In the New Southern Europe, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 197–234.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sotiropoulos, D.A. and Bourikos, D. (2014) ‘Economic crisis, social solidarity and the voluntary sector in Greece’, Journal of Power, Politics & Governance 2(2): 33–53.Google Scholar
- Wooldridge, J. M. (2009) Introduction to Econometrics: A modern approach, Fourth edh, Mason, OH: South-Western.Google Scholar