Participatory Local Democracy: Key to community-led rural development
- 177 Downloads
According to a recent study funded by the UN Democracy Fund (UNDEF), countries are decentralizing governance, moving resources and decision-making closer to citizens, and establishing public forums where people hold government accountable for public services. These steps accelerate economic and social progress, yet are largely ignored at the global policy level.
Keywordsrural development local governance participatory democracy SDGs
- Baiocchi, Gianpaolo, Patrick Heller and Marcelo Silva (2011) Bootstrapping Democracy: Transforming Local Governance and Civil Society in Brazil, Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- da Silva, José Graziano, Mauro Eduardo Del Grossi and Caio Galvão de França (eds.) (2011) ‘The Fome Zero (Zero Hunger) Program: The Brazilian experience’, Brasília: Ministry of Agrarian Development, http://www.fao.org/docrep/016/i3023e/i3023e.pdf, accessed 22 February 2015.
- EU (1997) Consolidated Version of the Treaty Establishing the European Community.Google Scholar
- Freire, Paulo (1970) Pedagogy of the Oppressed, New York: Herder and Herder.Google Scholar
- Gandhi, M.K. (1948) Referenced in Last Phase, Vol. II (1958: p. 65).Google Scholar
- Grant, James P. (1981) ‘State of the World’s Children 1980–1981’, http://www.unicef.org/about/history/files/sowc_1980-81.pdf, accessed 22 February 2015.
- International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) (2014) Global Nutrition Report 2014: Actions and Accountability to Accelerate the World’s Progress on Nutrition. Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- NPR (2014) Simple, Cheap Health Remedies Cut Child Mortality In Ethiopia, http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/12/19/255448192/simple-cheap-health-remedies-cut-child-mortality-in-ethiopia, accessed 22 February 2015.
- Pernoud, Regine (2000) Those Terrible Middle Ages: Debunking the Myths. San Francisco: Ignatius Press.Google Scholar
- Pope Pius Xi (1931) Quadragesimo Anno, Libreria Editrice Vaticana.Google Scholar
- Rahman, Md. Anisur (1993) People’s Self-Development. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Schneider, Aaron (2003) ‘Decentralization: Conceptualization and Measurement’, Studies in Comparative International Development 38(3): 32–56.Google Scholar
- The Hunger Project (2013) State of Participatory Democracy Report 2013. New York: The Hunger Project.Google Scholar
- The Hunger Project (2014) State of Participatory Democracy Report 2014. New York: The Hunger Project.Google Scholar
- UCLG (2014) ‘Turin Communique on Localizing the Post-2015 Development Agenda’, http://www.uclg.org/sites/default/files/turin_communique_localizing_13_oct.pdf, accessed 22 February 2015.
- UN (2000) ‘Resolution adopted by the General Assembly 55/2: The United National Millennium Declaration’.Google Scholar
- UN (2013) ‘Local Voices, Action Critical in Process towards Post-2015 Sustainable Development Policies, Secretary-General Tells Global Task Force’, http://www.un.org/press/en//2013/sgsm15057.doc.htm, accessed 22 February 2015.
- UN (2015) Transforming Our World: The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/post2015/transformingourworld, accessed 23 March 2015.
- UNDCF (2012) Third Biennial High Level Development Cooperation Forum, p4, http://www.un.org/en/ecosoc/julyhls/pdf12/dcf_art_report.pdf, accessed 22 February 2015.
- WHO (2014) Country Cooperation Strategy at a Glance: Niger, http://www.who.int/countryfocus/cooperation_strategy/ccsbrief_ner_en.pdf, accessed 22 February 2015.
- Zhou, Kate Xiao (1996) How the Farmers Changed China: Power of the People, Boulder, CO: Westview Press.Google Scholar