Roles of Rural Areas in Sustainable Food System Transformations
- 170 Downloads
Rural areas and their people have not received appropriate appreciation for their necessary contributions to sustainable cities and achievement of the sustainable development goals. Food systems in rural and urban areas are undergoing major transformations, due to drivers that are not always affected by population density. The health and well-being of rural agroecosystems and communities are interlinked inextricably with the well-being, resilience and food security of cities. The goals of food sovereignty for autonomy, localized markets, political participation in decisions affecting producers and agroecological production will serve the right to food of both urban and rural people.
Keywordssustainable food system rural transformation food sovereignty sustainable development goals
- Constant, Amelie (2014) ‘Do migrants take the jobs of native workers?’, IZA World of Labor 10: 1–10. http://wol.iza.org/articles/do-migrants-take-the-jobs-of-native-workers.
- Cromartie, John, Christiane von Reichert and Ryan Arthun (2015) Factors affecting former residents’ returning to rural communities. Economic Research Report No. ERR-185. US Department of Agriculture.Google Scholar
- Economic Research Service (ERS) (2015) ‘Identifying nine rural definitions’, http://www.ers.usda.gov/data-products/rural-definitions/data-documentation-and-methods.aspx.
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) (2007) ‘ Profitability and sustainability of urban and peri-urban agriculture’. Agriculture Management, Marketing and Finance Occasional Paper 19. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization.Google Scholar
- Howard, Philip H. (2016) Concentration and Power in the Food System: Who Controls What We Eat? London: Bloomsbury Academic.Google Scholar
- Kim, Anne (2016) ‘Lettuce pray’, Washington Monthly January/February. http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/magazine/januaryfebruary_2016/features/lettuce_pray059158.php?page=all.
- Martinez, Steve, Michael Hand, Michelle Da Pra, Susan Pollack, Katherine Ralston, Travis Smith, Stephen Vogel, Shellye Clark, Luanne Lohr, Sarah Low and Constance Newman (2010) Local Food Systems: Concepts, Impacts, and Issues, Economic Research Report No. 97, US Department of Agriculture.Google Scholar
- Mooney, Pat (2015) Mega-mergers in the Global Agricultural Inputs Sector. Webinar Presentation by ETCGroup.Google Scholar
- Reich, Robert B. (2015) Saving Capitalism for the Many, Not the Few. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.Google Scholar
- Tandon, Sharod, Maurice R. Landes and Andrea Woolverton (2011) ‘The Expansion of Modern Grocery Retailing and Trade in Developing Countries’, Economic Research Report No. 122. US Department of Agriculture.Google Scholar
- United Nations, Department of Economic and Social Affairs (2014) World Urbanization Prospects: The 2014 Revision. ST/ESA/SER.A/352.Google Scholar
- World Bank (2007) World Development Report 2007: Development and the Next Generation. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- World Food Programme (WFP) (2016) Who Are the Hungry?, http://www.wfp.org/hunger/who-are.