Public space, material worlds, and democratic aspirations
- 119 Downloads
This critical exchange is precipitated by recent incidents around the world wherein claims for greater participation, or protests against state repression, have unfolded as mass events in public spaces. These events, both aspirational and tragic, press us to understand the roles that geography and space play in making democratic participation viable. The contributors focus on public spaces from Turkey to Egypt to Venezuela to Canada to Great Britain; on parks, squares, monuments, shopping centers, soccer fields, barrios, and check points; and on democratic practices that utilize street art, graffiti, “Peoples’ Constitutions,” sign-up sheets, and role-playing to reimagine what communities and states could be.
Memory, lived spaces, and street art: Politics of resistance against non-space
In June 2013, Taksim Square’s Gezi Park housed one of the most significant democratic protests in the Turkish Republic’s history. The events caught many by surprise. What started out as a symbolic act,...
- Agamben, G. (2005) “Metropolis,” trans. A Bove. http://www.generation-online.org/p/fpagamben4.htm. Accessed 20 February 2016.
- Augé, M. (2009) Non-Places: Introduction to an Anthropology of Supermodernity. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Badiou, A. (2013) Alain Badiou on the Uprising in Turkey and Beyond. Accessed 3 September 2015 http://cengizerdem.wordpress.com/2013/06/19/alain-badiou-on-the-uprising-in-turkey-and-beyond/. Accessed 3 September 2015.
- Birkaç Çapulcunun Yaptıklarını Biz Yapmayız 6 September (2013) Radikal. http://www.radikal.com.tr/politika/basbakan-erdogan-biz-birkac-capulcunun-yaptiklarini-yapmayiz-1136875/. Accessed 20 February 2016.
- Bozdoğan, S. (2001) Modernism and Nation Building: Turkish Architectural Culture in the Early Republic. Seattle: University of Washington Press.Google Scholar
- de Certeau, M. (2011) The Practice of Everyday Life. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Ekmekci, O. (2013) When urban planning gets political: The history of Taksim square. Accessed 20 February 2016 http://www.archdaily.com/388271/when-urban-planning-gets-political-the-history-of-taksim-square. Accessed 20 February 2016.
- Gruber, C. (2013) The visual emergence of the Occupy Gezi Movement, Jadaliyya, 6–7–8 July. Accessed 20 February 2016 http://www.jadaliyya.com/pages/index/12714/the-visual-emergence-of-the-occupy-gezi-movement-p. Accessed 20 February 2016.
- Harmanşah, Ö. (2014) Urban Utopias and how they fell apart: The political ecology of Gezi Parki. In: U. Özkırımli (ed.) The Making of a Protest Movement in Turkey: #occupygezi. London: Palgrave Macmillan Kindle Edition.Google Scholar
- Irvine, M. (2011) The work on the street: Street art and visual culture. In: B. Sandywell and I. Haywood (eds.) The Handbook of Visual Culture. London: Berg/Palgrave Macmillan Press.Google Scholar
- Kayabalı, T. (2013) #occupygezi: Gezi Protests in Turkey. http://reframe.sussex.ac.uk/activistmedia/2013/08/occupygezi/. Accessed 20 February 2016.
- Rabbime sordum #direngezi dedi, 4 June (2013) Radikal. http://www.radikal.com.tr/fotogaleri/turkiye/rabbime-sordum-direngezi-dedi-1136242-10/. Accessed 20 February 2016.
- Rancière, J. (2001) Ten theses on politics. Theory & Event 5(3).Google Scholar
- Rancière, J. (2007) “The Uses of Democracy”, in On the Shores of Politics. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Riggle, N.A. (2010) Street art: The transfiguration of commonplaces. The Journal of Aesthetics and Art Criticism 63(3): 243–257.Google Scholar
- Taş, T. and Taş, O. (2014) Resistance on the walls, reclaiming public space: Street art in times of political turmoil in Turkey. Interactions: Studies in Communication & Culture 5(3): 327–349.Google Scholar
- TKP’s den ‘boyun eğme’ açıklaması, 3 June (2013) Sol. http://haber.sol.org.tr/soldakiler/tkpden-boyun-egme-aciklamasi-haberi-74058. Accessed 20 February 2016.
- Young, A. (2014) Street Art, Public City: Law, Crime, and Urban Imagination. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Žižek, S. (2013) Trouble in paradise. London Review of Books, 18 July. http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n14/slavoj-zizek/trouble-in-paradise. Accessed 20 February 2016.