The twenty-first book review of The Alzheimer Conundrum
Since medical anthropologist Margaret Lock’s book The Alzheimer Conundrum: Entanglements of Dementia and Aging was published with Princeton University Press in 2013, around twenty English book reviews have appeared in scientific journals, newspaper literary supplements and academic blogs.1 Not only the places of publication but also the disciplinary perspectives of the book reviewers reflect a broad spectrum ranging from neurophysiologists and age gerontologists to historians and sociologists. At latest, when a prominent scientific figure of the Alzheimer debate that Margaret Lock refers to by name as one of her interviewees – and also as one of her “colleagues near and far” who “perused parts of the manuscript and made important suggestions” (p. x) – contributed a book review (George and Whitehouse, 2016), The Alzheimer Conundrumseems to have come full circle. Now, this does not need to be a bad thing. Quite the contrary: isn’t this Ping-Pong play between ‘actors’ and scholars who...
- Altschuler, G.C. (2013) Forget-Me-Knots, 19 November 2013, https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/is-america/201311/forget-me-knots.
- Barley, L.R. (2014) Lock, Margaret. The Alzheimer conundrum: Entanglements of dementia and aging. Choice Reviews. doi: 10.5860/CHOICE.51-5630.
- Bynum, W.F. (2014) “Amyloids” The Times Literary Supplement, May 9 2014: 24.Google Scholar
- Corrie, D. (2015) The Alzheimer Conundrum: Entanglements of Dementia and Aging. In: Paul Mason: “A stubborn conundrum” https://culturematters.wordpress.com/2015/08/03/a-stubborn-conundrum/.
- Fitzgerald, D. (2014) Book Review: The Alzheimer Conundrum. Entanglements of Dementia and Aging by Margaret Lock. http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/lsereviewofbooks/2014/02/08/book-review-the-alzheimer-conundrum-entanglements-of-dementia-aging-by-margaret-lock/.
- Gaines, A.D. (2015) Alzheimer Conundrum: Entanglements of Dementia and Aging. Margaret Lock, Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press, 2013, 310 pp. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 29: b18–b20.Google Scholar
- Karlawish, J. (2014) Unwrapping a fragile concept. Health Affairs 33: 718.Google Scholar
- Kenny, R.A. (2014) Pathology or the passing of time? Times Higher Education 50.Google Scholar
- Pierce, R. (2014) Gallantly fighting windmills? Complexity of a 21st century challenge. The Lancet Neurology 13: 451.Google Scholar
- Russ, T.C. (2015). The Alzheimer Conundrum. Entanglements of dementia and aging. The British Journal of Psychiatry 206: 256.Google Scholar
- Seaman, A. (2013) Margaret Lock’s The Alzheimer Conundrum. http://somatosphere.net/2013/12/margaret-locks-the-alzheimer-conundrum.html, accessed 12 December 2013.
- van Someren, E. (2013) Where we are now with Alzheimer’s. Nature 503: 38.Google Scholar