Dynamic pricing of airline offers
Airlines have started to focus on expanding their product offerings beyond flights to include ancillary products (e.g., baggage, advance seat reservations, meals, flexibility options), as well as third-party content (e.g., parking and insurance). Today, however, offer creation is rudimentary, managed in separate processes, organizations, and IT systems. We believe the current approach is inadequate and that the key to profitability is to manage offers consistently in an integrated Offer Management System (OMS). However, realizing this vision, will require significant advancements in the science of pricing and in distribution. The entire scope of an OMS cannot be covered in a single paper. Hence, to provide depth, we will focus on what we believe is one of the most critical components of the OMS—Dynamic Pricing of airline offers. Finally, we discuss various industry initiatives that will enable deployment of Dynamic Pricing of the flight product alone or the broader scope of OMS.
KeywordsRevenue Management System Offer Management System Dynamic Pricing Ancillary Price Optimization Machine Learning Distribution NDC
We thank Jason Coverston, at Navitaire, for sharing his insights on Navitaire’s Ancillary Price Optimization (APO). We also thank Stephane Lecourtois for sharing his knowledge on merchandising.
- Bockelie, A. 2017. Revenue Management with Ancillary Services: A New Optimization Approach. Presented at AGIFORS Reservation and Distribution Study Group, Frankfurt, Germany.Google Scholar
- Coverston, J. 2016. Ancillary Pricing Optimization (APO), Navitaire Customer Conference, Las Vegas.Google Scholar
- Hoyles, Y. 2015. IATA Simplifying the Business. New Distribution Capability (NDC). Facilitating Air Retailing. http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/airline-distribution/ndc/Documents/ndc-strategy-paper.pdf. Accessed 15 Oct 2017.
- Fiig, T. 2007. ODYSSEY: SAS’ O&D Forecasting System. Presented at AGIFORS Reservation and Yield Management Study Group, Jeju Island, Korea.Google Scholar
- Fiig, T., R. Härdling, S. Pölt, and C. Hopperstad. 2014. Demand Forecasting and Measuring Forecast Accuracy in General Fare Structures. Management 13 (6): 413–439.Google Scholar
- Garrow, L. 2010. Discrete Choice Modeling and Air Travel Demand: Theory and Applications. Farnham: Ashgate Publishing.Google Scholar
- Gorin, T. 2012. Forecasting Passenger Demand at the “Right” Level. Optimal Dimension Definitions and Clusters for Forecasting Demand. Presented at AGIFORS Reservation and Distribution Study Group, Barcelona, Spain.Google Scholar
- IATA. 2013. Profitability and the Air Transport Value Chain. IATA Economics Briefing No. 10, IATA.Google Scholar
- IATA. 2016. New Distribution Capability (NDC) Implementation Guide 3.2. http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/airline-distribution/ndc/Documents/ndc-implementation-guide.pdf. Accessed 3 Mar 2018.
- IATA. 2018. NDC Airlines. http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/airline-distribution/ndc/Pages/ndc-airlines.aspx. Accessed 15 Feb 2018.
- Littlewood, K. 1972. Forecasting and Control of Passenger Bookings. 12th AGIFORS Annual Symposium Proceedings, Nathanya, Israel, pp. 95–117.Google Scholar
- Popp, C. 2016. RM Meets Distribution. Presented at AGIFORS Reservation and Distribution Study Group, San Francisco, CAGoogle Scholar
- Radcliffe, N.J. 2007. Using Control Groups to Target on Predicted Lift: Building and Assessing Uplift Model. Direct Marketing Analytics Journal 1: 14–21.Google Scholar
- Ratliff, R. 2017. Industry-standard Specifications for Air Dynamic Pricing Engines: Progress Update. Presented at AGIFORS Revenue Management Study Group Meeting, San Francisco, USA.Google Scholar
- Rauch, J. Pölt, S., Isler, K. 2015. Disentangling Capacity Control from Price Optimization. Presented at AGIFORS Reservation and Distribution Study Group, Shanghai, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- Rauch, J., K. Isler, and S. Poelt. 2017. Disentangling Capacity Control from Price Optimization. Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41272-017-0118-9.
- Reinartz, W. 2002. Customizing Prices in Online Markets. Symphonya Emerging Issues in Management 1: 55–65.Google Scholar
- Sahin, O. Hagen, J., Jadanza, R., and Fiig T. forthcoming. Dynamically Pricing Ticket Options: An Artificial Intelligence Approach.Google Scholar
- Smith, B.C., and C.W. Penn. 1988. Analysis of Alternative Origin-Destination Control Strategies. AGIFORS Symposium Proceedings 28: 123–144.Google Scholar
- Weber, K. 2001. From O&D Bid Price Control to Package Bid Price Control. Presented at AGIFORS Reservation and Yield Management Study Group, Bangkok, Thailand.Google Scholar
- Williamson, E.L. 1992. Airline Network Seat Inventory Control: Methodologies and Revenue Impacts. Ph.D. Thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- Wilson, B. and Touraine, S. (2016). NDC—ONE Order initiatives: Industry opportunities for simplification and value creation. Presented at AGIFORS Reservation and Distribution Study Group, Frankfurt, Germany.Google Scholar