Towards capturing ancillary revenue via unbundling and cross-selling
- 59 Downloads
Cross-selling is a popular approach—in B2B and B2C alike—to increase revenues without affecting customer acquisition costs. In this paper, we review existing approaches such as Amazon’s methodology, and introduce our approach to cross-selling. We describe the differences between B2B and B2C implementations and discuss the need for business rules to achieve better recommendations. We illustrate our findings with industry solutions and discuss extensions to the airline case, made possible by the recent “unbundling” strategies developed by airlines worldwide. We conclude with our expectations of future airline applications and specifically the concept of individualized offer optimization.
KeywordsCross-sell Pricing Revenue management Airlines
None of this work would have been possible without the tremendous help and support of our colleagues at PROS, and in particular the help of Abinav Rameesh, Sushil Joshi, and Akhil Dhargave. All three spent countless hours figuring out the best way to implement and test this cross-sell algorithm, and provided valuable feedback and suggestions to improve the algorithm.
- Bodea, T., and M. Ferguson. 2014. Segmentation, revenue management and pricing analytics. London: Routledge. ISBN-10: 0415898331.Google Scholar
- Gorin, T. 2012. Forecasting passenger demand at the right level: optimal dimension definitions and clusters. AGIFORS Reservations and Yield Management Study Group Proceedings, Barcelona, Spain.Google Scholar
- Hahsler, M. 2015. A probabilistic comparison of commonly used interest measures for association rules. http://michael.hahsler.net/research/association_rules/measures.html.
- Hastie, T., R. Tibshirani, and J. Friedman. 2009. The elements of statistical learning: data mining, inference, and prediction. New York: Springer. ISBN-10: 0387848576.Google Scholar
- Hoyles, Y. 2015. New Distribution Capability (NDC). Together Let’s Build Airline Retailing. https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/airline-distribution/ndc/Documents/ndc-strategy-paper.pdf.
- IATA. 2015. New Distribution Capabilities Standards. Implementation Guide 2.0. Simplifying the Business. https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/airline-distribution/ndc/Documents/ndc-implementation-guide-v2.pdf.
- Ke, L., and W. Jie. 2003. Research on judgment criterion of association rule. Control and Decision 18 (3): 277–280.Google Scholar
- Levy, K.L. et al. 2010. Recommendation Systems—U.S. Patent Application Publication. http://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pdfs/US20100268661.pdf.
- MS. 2016. Microsoft Association Algorithm Technical Reference. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc280428.aspx.
- Martin, J. 1990. Information Engineering, Book II: Planning and Analysis. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall. ISBN-10: 0134648854.Google Scholar
- Sundararajan, R., P. Krishnan, and B. Narayanan. 2005. System and method for optimizing cross-sell decisions for financial products. USPTO Patent Application # US 11/289,911. US 20070124237 A1.Google Scholar
- Teknomo, K. 2008. Market Basket Analysis. http://people.revoledu.com/kardi/tutorial/MarketBasket/.
- Zhang, Z. 2003. Cross-selling in standalone sales systems. USPTO Patent Application # US 10/684,125. US20050080669 A1.Google Scholar