Roundup litigation discovery documents: implications for public health and journal ethics
This paper reviews the court-released discovery documents obtained from litigation against Monsanto over its herbicide Roundup and through Freedom of Information Act requests (requests to regulatory agencies and public universities in the United States). We sought evidence of corporate malfeasance and undisclosed conflicts of interest with respect to issues of scientific integrity. The findings include evidence of ghostwriting, interference in journal publication, and undue influence of a federal regulatory agency.
KeywordsRoundup Monsanto Ghost writing Glyphosate IARC EPA
- 1.Markowitz G, Rosner D. Deceit and denial: the deadly politics of industrial pollution. Oakland: University of California Press; 2002.Google Scholar
- 2.U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Public Affairs, GlaxoSmith Kline to plead guilty and pay $3 billion to resolve fraud allegations and failure to report safety data. July 2, 2012. https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/glaxosmithkline-plead-guilty-and-pay-3-billion-resolve-fraud-allegations-and-failure-report. Accessed 20 Oct 2017.
- 3.Plos Medicine Editors. Ghostwriting: the dirty little secret of medical publishing that just got bigger. PLoS Med. 2009;6(9):e1000156.Google Scholar
- 4.Castleman BL. Asbestos: medical and legal aspects. 5th ed. Frederick, MD: Aspen Publishers; 2004.Google Scholar
- 5.Delafontaine R. Historians as expert judicial witnesses in tobacco litigation. Studies in the history of law and justice. New York: Springer; 2015.Google Scholar
- 6.Oreskes N, Conway EM. Merchants of doubt: how a handful of scientists obscured the truth on issues from tobacco smoke to global warming. New York: Bloomsbury; 2010.Google Scholar
- 7.Rosner D, Markowitz G, Showkwanyun M. ToxicDocs (www.ToxicDocs.org): from history buried in stacks of paper to open, searchable archives online. J Public Health Pol. 2018;39:4–11.
- 9.International Agency for Research on Cancer. IARC monographs, vol. 112. Evaluation of five organophosphate insecticides and herbicides. March 20, 2015 http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/iarcnews/pdf/MonographVolume112.pdf. Accessed 12 Nov 2017.
- 10.U.S. Right to Know website of Monsanto litigation documents. https://usrtk.org/pesticides/mdl-monsanto-glyphosate-cancer-case-key-documents-analysis/. Accessed 17 May 2018.
- 11.Roundup Products Liability Litigation, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, MDL No. 2741. Case No. 16-md-02741-VC. http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/VC/roundupmdl Accessed 20 Oct 2017.
- 12.www.usrtk.org is a publicly accessible Internet site.
- 13.Foucart S, Horel S. Monsanto papers: les agencies sous l’influence de la firm. La Monde April 10, 2017; May 10, 2017.Google Scholar
- 15.Gillam C. Ch. 6, Spinning the science. In: Whitewash. Washington DC: Island Press; 2017.Google Scholar
- 16.UCSF Industry Documents Library https://www.industrydocumentslibrary.ucsf.edu/.
- 18.Roundup Products Liability Litigation, U.S. District Court, Northern District of California, MDL No. 2741. Case No. 16-md-02741-VC Document 187-12 Filed 03/14/17 https://usrtk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/187series.pdf p. 203. Accessed 12 Nov 2017.
- 19.Environmental Protection Agency, Glyphosate issue paper: evaluation of carcinogenic potential, September 12, 2016. https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2016-09/documents/glyphosate_issue_paper_evaluation_of_carcincogenic_potential.pdf. Accessed 12 Nov 2017.
- 20.Roundup products liability litigation, document ID MONGLY01723742 https://usrtk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/18-Monsanto-Scientist-Admits-to-Ghostwriting-Cancer-Review-Paper.pdf. Accessed 12 Nov 2017.
- 21.Williams GM, Aardema M, Acquavella J, Berry SC, Brusick D, Burns MM, de Camargo JLV, Garabrant D, Greim HA, Kier LD, Kirkland DJ, Marsh G, Solomon KR, Sorahan T, Roberts A, Weed DL. A review of the carcinogenic potential of glyphosate by four independent expert panels and comparison to the IARC assessment. Crit Rev Tox. 2016;46:3–20.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Email. Ashley Robert, Intertek to Roger McClellan, editor of Crit Rev Tox, July 5, 2016. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/0C-Challenged-Documents-Chart.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2018.
- 23.Email. William F. Heydens, Monsanto to Ashley Roberts, Intertek, January 13, 2016. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/3-Internal-Emails-Show-Monsanto-Made-Substantial-Contributions-to-Published-Expert-Panel-Manuscript.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 24.Email. William F. Heydens, Monsanto to Ashley Roberts, Intertek, February 9, 2016. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/1-Monsanto-Executive-William-Heydens-Edits-and-Comments-on-Expert-Consultant-Manuscript.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 25.Email. William F. Heydens, Monsanto to consultant Larry Kier, January 9, 2016. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/3-Internal-Emails-Show-Monsanto-Made-Substantial-Contributions-to-Published-Expert-Panel-Manuscript.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 26.Consulting agreement between Larry D. Kier and Monsanto Company, Project Amendment Letter, August 17, 2015. https://usrtk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/23-Email-Regarding-Monsanto-Paid-Consultant-and-Expert-Panel-of-Independent-Scientists.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 27.Email. William F. Heydens, Monsanto to Ashley Roberts, Intertek, February 4, 2016. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/4-Internal-Email-Further-Demonstrating-Heydens-Involvement-Drafting-Expert-Panel-Manuscript.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 28.Email. Email string between Monsanto employees September 26, 2012. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/7-Monsanto-Personnel-Discusses-Plan-Seeking-Retraction-of-Serlani-Glyphosate-Study.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 29.Email. Email string between Eric Sachs, Monsanto and other Monsanto employees, September 28, 2012. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/14-Monsanto-Emails-Confirming-Undisclosed-Involvement-in-Successful-Retraction-of-Serlani-Study.pdf Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 30.Email. William Heydens, Monsanto to Eric S. Sachs, Monsanto. Sept. 26, 2012. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/7-Monsanto-Personnel-Discusses-Plan-Seeking-Retraction-of-Serlani-Glyphosate-Study.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 31.Email. Bruce Chassy, University of Illinois, Monsanto Consultant to Wallace Hayes, September 26, 2012.Google Scholar
- 32.Lipton E. Food industry enlisted academics in G.M.O. lobbying war, Emails show, New York Times September 2, 2015. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/06/us/food-industry-enlisted-academics-in-gmo-lobbying-war-emails-show.html?_r=1.
- 33.Email. Monsanto Email chain. September 26, 2012; Business Goals of David Saltmiras, Monsanto, August 20, 2013. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/8-Monsanto-Scientist-Admits-to-Leveraging-Relationship-with-Food-and-Chemical-Toxicology-Journal.pdf Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 34.Séralini G, Clair E, Mesnage R, Gress S, Defarge N, Malatesta M, Hennequin D, Spiroux de Vendômois J. Republished study: long-term toxicity of a Roundup herbicide and a Roundup-tolerant genetically modified maize. Environ Sci Eur. 2014;26(14):1–17.Google Scholar
- 35.https://www.usrtk.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/GoodmanRG-000126-000001.pdf Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 38.https://publicationethics.org/files/retraction%20guidelines.pdf Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 39.Gillam C. Collusion or coincidence? Records show EPA efforts to slow herbicide review came in coordination with Monsanto. Huffington Post. August 18, 2017. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/collusion-or-coincidence-records-show-epa-efforts_us_5994dad4e4b056a2b0ef02f1. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 40.Emails. Daniel Jenkins (Monsanto) to William Heydens (Monsanto), Jennifer Listello, (Monsanto). June 24, 2015. http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/56-Email-Showing-Communications-Between-Monsanto-and-EPA-in-Furtherance-of-Avoiding-Roundup-and-Glyphosate-Testing.pdf Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 41.https://usrtk.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Text-Messages.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 42.Email. David Saltmiras, Monsanto to Monsanto colleagues, August. 13, 2012 http://baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/11-Email-Confirming-Monsantos-Intention-to-Pay-Wallace-Hayes.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- 43.U.S. House of Representatives. Minority staff report prepared for members of the Committee on Science, Space & Technology. Spinning science & silencing scientists: a case study in how the chemical industry attempts to influence science. February 2018. https://www.baumhedlundlaw.com/pdf/monsanto-documents/Final-minority-report-glyphosate-spinning-science-silencing-scientists.pdf.