Asian city brand meaning: a Hong Kong perspective
- 412 Downloads
The idea of “brands doing good” is potentially intrinsic in all aspects of strategic and ethical branding. This study argues that city branding can be a site for “brands doing good”. City branding is consolidating its position in the branding literature. Two areas remain underdeveloped: the role of culture and a comprehensive answer to the question of what does a place mean to its residents? This quantitative study addresses these two gaps in the literature. Hong Kong is selected as a thought-provoking context to investigate the research issues and enables more attention to Asian city brands. The results indicate that social bonding through friends and relatives is the dominant brand association shaping city brand meaning. Additionally, a three-pronged approach to culture elevates culture to an important role in understanding the residents’ city brand meaning. The three prongs are: (1) inclusion of Confucius values as a brand association; (2) using intangible cultural heritage as a moderator in the model explaining city brand attitudes and (3) interpreting material lifestyle activities like eateries as an integral part of the city culture. The results suggest that the Hong Kong city brand does much good especially through strong social, cultural and community core brand values.
KeywordsCity brand meaning Intangible cultural heritage City branding Brand associations Survey translation Brands that do good
- Brand Hong Kong. 2015. There’s no other city like Asia’s world city: Quality Living, Enterprising, Excellence, Free. http://www.brandhk.gov.hk/en/#. Accessed 28 Oct 2015.
- Brand Hong Kong. 2016. What is brand Hong Kong? http://www.brandhk.gov.hk/html/en/BrandHongKong/WhatIsBrandHongKong.html. Last Accessed 08 Mar 2017.
- Brand Hong Kong. 2017a. Our Hong Kong. http://www.brandhk.gov.hk/html/en/OurHongKong/OurHongKongCampaign.html. Last Accessed 08 Mar 2017.
- Brand Hong Kong. 2017b. Brand review and refresh. http://www.brandhk.gov.hk/html/en/BrandHongKong/WhatIsBrandHongKong.html. Last Accessed 08 Mar 2017.
- Brand Hong Kong. 2017c. Brand HK Fact Sheet. http://www.brandhk.gov.hk/uploads/brandhk/files/factsheets/en/1_BrandHK_en.pdf. Last Accessed 08 Mar 2017.
- Cartier, C. 2008. Culture and the city: Hong Kong, 1997–2007. The China Review 8(1): 59–83.Google Scholar
- Census and Statistics Department. 2015. Population and Household Statistics Analysed by District Council District 2015, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administration Region. http://www.statistics.gov.hk/pub/B11303012015AN15B0100.pdf. http://www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/hkif/index.jsp. Last Accessed 18 Jan 2017.
- Census and Statistics Department. 2016a. Hong Kong Monthly Digest of Statistics July 2016: Featured article The Profile of Hong Kong Population Analysed by District Council District 2015, The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administration Region. http://www.statistics.gov.hk/pub/B71607FC2016XXXXB0100.pdf. Last Accessed 18 Jan 2017.
- Census and Statistics Department. 2016b Population estimates, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administration Region. http://www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/hkif/index.jsp. Last Accessed 18 Jan 2017.
- Cheng, J.Y.S. 2015. Confucian values and democratic governance in Hong Kong. In Confucian culture and democracy, ed. F.J. Hsieh, 161–196. Singapore: World Scientific Publishing.Google Scholar
- Chu, S.Yiu-wai. 2010. Brand Hong Kong: Asia’s World City as method? Visual Anthropology 24(1–2): 24–58.Google Scholar
- Dinnie, K. (ed.). 2011. City branding: Theory and cases. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- GovHK. 2017. Hong Kong—the facts. http://www.gov.hk/en/about/abouthk/facts.htm. Last Accessed 08 Mar 2017.
- Hong Kong Tourism Board (HKTB). 2016. Hong Kong cultural celebrations: Cheung Chau Bun Festival. http://www.discoverhongkong.com/au/see-do/events-festivals/highlight-events/cultural-celebrations.jsp. Last Accessed 18 Jan 2017.
- Hong Kong Museum of History. 2016. Exhibitions. http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/History/en_US/web/mh/exhibition/permanent.html; http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/History/en_US/web/mh/; http://www.lcsd.gov.hk/CE/Museum/History/en_US/web/mh/exhibition/gallery04.html. All Last Accessed 18 Jan 2017.
- Keller, K. 2013. Strategic brand management: Building, measuring and managing brand equity. 4/global ed. Boston: Pearson.Google Scholar
- Lynch, K. 1960. The image of the city. Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Roper, S., and C. Fill. 2012. Corporate reputation: Brand and communication, 2012. Pearson: Harlow, England.Google Scholar
- Table E029 Domestic households by type of housing (Table 9.2 in the Quarterly Report on General Household Survey) Third Quarter 2016. http://www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/sub/sp150.jsp?productCode=D5250033. Last Accessed 18 Jan 2017.
- Table E030 Domestic households by tenure of accommodation (Table 9.3 in the Quarterly Report on General Household Survey), Third Quarter 2016. http://www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/sub/sp150.jsp?productCode=D5250034. Last Accessed 18 Jan 2017.
- Unilever. 2017. Purpose and principles. https://www.unilever.com.au/about/who-we-are/purpose-and-principles/ Last Accessed 08 Mar 2017.