Film marketing opportunities for the well-known tourist destination
- 205 Downloads
This study explores the potential role of destination image in the context of film-induced tourism for the city of Rome. We examine the effects of two trailers of the 2014 Academy Award® winner for best foreign movie “The Great Beauty” on the image change of the city as a travel destination. The results, obtained through an experimental study with international respondents, suggest that a film can shift consumers’ cognitive and affective destination image perceptions in coherence with the contents proposed; yet for Rome, a mature destination with a well-established heritage, the changes are not so dramatic. We discuss the implications within the context of destination management and propose an agenda for future research.
Keywordsconsumer behaviour destination image destination management film marketing Rome tourist behaviour
- Country Brand Index (2014) (http://www.futurebrand.com/cbi/2014).
- Dillon, W.R. and Goldstein, M. (1984) Multivariate Analysis: Methods and Applications. New York, NY: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Euromonitor International. (2016) Top 100 City Destination Ranking. Report. Retrieved from http://go.euromonitor.com/rs/805-KOK-719/images/TCD-presentation_FINAL.pdf
- Gartner, W.C. (1993) Image formation process. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing 2(2/3): 191–215.Google Scholar
- Grihault, N. (2003) Film tourism: The global picture. Travel and Tourism Analyst 5(1): 21.Google Scholar
- Hair, J., Black, W.C., Babin, B.J. and Anderson, R.E. (2009) Multivariate Data Analysis (7th Ed.). New Jersey, NJ: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Hudson, S., Wang, Y. and Moreno-Gil, S. (2010) The influence of a film on destination image and the desire to travel: A cross-cultural comparison. International Journal of Tourism Research 13(2): 177–190.Google Scholar
- Lee, C., Lee, Y. and Lee, B. (2005) Korea’s destination image formed by the 2002 World Cup. Annals of Tourism Research 19: 399–419.Google Scholar
- Nunnally, J. (1978) Psychometric Methods. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Shani, A., Chen, P.J., Juan, Y. and Hua, N. (2010) Testing the impact of a promotional video on destination image change: Application of China as a tourism destination. International Journal of Tourism Research 12(2): 116–133.Google Scholar
- Strong, E.K. (1925) The Psychology of Selling. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Weissberg, J. (2013) Film review: The Great Beauty. Retrieved from: http://variety.com/2013/film/global/cannes-film-review-the-great-beauty-1200484710/