China’s belt and road initiative and regional perceptions of China
- 91 Downloads
China’s growing outward investment in Asia-Pacific is motivated by the potential for economic gains, but could also affect regional geopolitical risk. Using survey data from 2005 to 2016, we show that an increase in Chinese FDI in a country improves respondents’ perceptions of Chinese influence on their country. We also show that perceptions of China are correlated with future business confidence in Asia-Pacific countries. With China advancing plans for further regional investment, notably through the Belt and Road Initiative, the economic and business outlook for Asia-Pacific could improve significantly, adding to existing advantages from regional economic and demographic trends.
KeywordsChina Belt and road FDI Perception Business risk
JEL ClassificationF21 F61 F63
- American Enterprise Institute and Heritage Foundation. 2017. China Global Investment Tracker. Washington, DC, USA: American Enterprise Institute.Google Scholar
- Haenle, P. 2017. Xi’s Vision for China’s Belt and Road Initiative. Carnegie-Tsinghua Center for Global Policy.Google Scholar
- Hornby, L. 2016. China seeks foreign investors for One Belt, One Road push. Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/b04c0800-2246-11e6-aa98-db1e01fabc0c.
- Hu, F., and Y.-H. Chu. 2016. Asian Barometer Survey. Taipei, Taiwan.Google Scholar
- Liao, T. X., L.-G. Liu, E. L. Morse, J. Su, and X. Jin. 2017. China’s One Belt One Road Initiative: Will it boost global commodities demand? China Commodities Focus. Citi Research.Google Scholar
- Riley, C. 2012. Will China’s auto boycott backfire? CNN Money. http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/11/news/economy/japan-china-autos/index.html.
- Rolland, N. 2017. China’s Eurasian Century? Political and Strategic Implications of the Belt and Road Initiative. Washington, D.C.: The National Bureau of Asian Research.Google Scholar
- Song, J.-A. 2017. South Korean carmakers feel impact of China anti-THAAD sentiment. Financial Times. https://www.ft.com/content/ab64d6f0-18fe-11e7-a53d-df09f373be87.