Nationalism and the body politic: Psychoanalysis and the rise of ethnocentrism and xenophobia
Lene Auestad Karnac Books, London, 2014, pp. 256, $39.00 paper, ISBN: 978 1 780491028
In considering the topic of nationalism within psychoanalysis, we do well to appreciate the danger of Wilhelm Reich’s confidence in his now abandoned Orgone boxes, alongside the wisdom of Ulysses’ appreciation of his own limits in binding himself to the mast. Simply put, the journey into discernment, in this case of psyche and social malfunction, is not one for the faint of heart. Fortunately, this collection of papers, published in the New International Library of Group Analysis series and edited by Earl Hopper, affords some helpful guidance. Herein is a record of a conference that took place at the Norwegian Psychoanalytic Society in March 2011. The aim of this gathering was to question the recent revival of neo-nationalist policies. In the appendix of the volume under review is an interview conducted by Steffen Kruger with Norwegian philosopher and volume editor Lene Auestad and Mexican...
- Al-Kassim, D. (2007) Resistance, terminable and interminable. In: G. Schwab (ed.) Derrida, Deleuze, Psychoanalysis. New York: Columbia University Press, pp. 105–141.Google Scholar
- Eigen, M. (2009) Flames from the Unconscious: Trauma, Madness, and Faith. London: Karnac Books.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. (1914, 1957) On narcissism. Standard Edition, 14. London: Hogarth Press, pp. 67–102.Google Scholar
- Harris, A. and Botticelli, S. (eds) (2010) First Do No Harm: The Paradoxical Encounters of Psychoanalysis, Warmaking, and Resistance. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Marchesani, R.B. (2003) Vulgar links: Up, down, all around: An interview with Michael Eigen. In: E.M. Stern and R.B. Marchesani (eds) Inhabitants of the Unconscious: The Grotesque and the Vulgar in Everyday Life. Binghamton, NY: The Haworth Press, pp. 99–110.Google Scholar
- Robertson, C. (2014) Wounded landscape: How Norway is remembering its 2011 Utøya massacre. The Guardian, 6 March, http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2014/mar/06/norway-massacre-memorial-jonas-dahlberg-anders-behring-breivik, accessed 21 June 2014.
- Williams, M.H. (2010) Bion’s Dream: A Reading of the Autobiographies. London: Karnac Books.Google Scholar