The impact of neoliberalism on Latinos
The neoliberal movement and its policies of the past four decades have negatively impacted the entire nation. This essay provides an overview of American neoliberalism and its elements, with particular emphasis on how it is imbued with and frames powerful racist currents, and how it has impacted Latinos. An examination of the impact of neoliberalism on Latinos shows persistently high levels of poverty, declining household income and declining levels of wealth. Neoliberal policies that reduce funding for education lead to program cuts that negatively impact Latinos. In K-12, bilingual education programs and other multicultural education programs continue to be under attack. Undocumented immigrants are increasingly incarcerated in private prisons and civil and human rights generally continue to be diminished by practices allowed under the Patriot Act. The essay concludes with a critical discussion of neoliberalism and the public good in American democracy.
KeywordsLatinos neoliberalism ideology individualism limited government
The author thanks his colleagues at Michigan State University engaged in public discussions about neoliberalism in the United States and in public higher education for the many insightful conversations they had over group lunches this past year.
- Abelda, R., and M. Carr . 2012. “Low-Wage and Low-Income Workers in the U.S., 1979–2009.” Boston: Center for Social Policy Publications, University of Massachusetts. Paper 60. http://scholarworks.umb.edu/csp_pubs/60, accessed 3 February 2014.
- Aguirre Jr. A., V. Eick, and E. Reese . 2006. “Introduction: Neoliberal Globalization, Urban Privatization, and Resistance”. Social Justice 33 (3): 1–5.Google Scholar
- Aguirre, J.A., and R. Martinez . 2014. “The Foreclosure Crisis, the American Dream, and Minority Households in the United States: A Descriptive Profile”. Social Justice 40 (3): 6–15.Google Scholar
- Arizona HB 2281. 2010. http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/49leg/2r/bills/hb2281p.pdf, accessed 18 January 2011.
- Aud, S. et al 2012. “The Condition of Education 2012,” NCES 2012-045. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics, http://nces.ed.gov/pubsearch, accessed 7 September 2012.
- Birch, K., and V. Mykhnenko . eds., 2010. “Introduction: A World Turned Right Way Up”. In, The Rise and Fall of Neoliberalism: The Collapse of an Economic Order?, 1–20. New York: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Birch, K., and A. Tickell . 2010. “Making Neoliberal Order in the United States”. In, The Rise and Fall of Neoliberalism: The Collapse of an Economic Order?, ed. K. Birch, and V. Mykhnenko, 42–59. New York: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Bright, G., and J. Schostak . 2013. “Rhetorical Processes and the Unwriting of Neoliberalism for Democratic Organization.” Paper presented at the International Conference: Rhetoric, Between the Theory and Practice of Politics. CEHUM, University of Minho, 21–22 June, Braga, Portugal.Google Scholar
- Cauchon, D. 2011. “Student Loans Outstanding Will Exceed $1 Trillion This Year.” USA Today, 25 October, http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money/perfi/college/story/2011-10-19/student-loan-debt/50818676/1, accessed 15 September 2012.
- Center for Labor Market Studies. 2009. Left Behind in America: The Nation’s Dropout Crisis. Boston, MA: Northeastern University Press.Google Scholar
- Center for Media and Democracy. 2013. “ALEC at 40: Turning Back the Clock on Prosperity and Progress.” Madison, WI: CMD, http://www.sourcewatch.org/images/8/88/ALEC_report_2013.pdf, accessed 20 August 2013.
- College Board. 2012. Trends in College Pricing. New York: The College Board.Google Scholar
- Cooper, P.J. 2009. The War against Regulation from Jimmy Carter to George W. Bush. Lawrence: University of Kansas Press.Google Scholar
- Dávila, A. 2004. Barrio Dreams: Puerto Ricans, Latinos, and the Neoliberal City. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- DeNavas-Walt, C., B.D. Proctor, and J.C. Smith . 2010. Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2009. US Census Bureau, Current Population Reports, P60-238., Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- DeNavas-Walt, C., B.D. Proctor, and J.C. Smith . 2011. Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2010. US Census Bureau, Current Population Reports, P60-239., Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- DeNavas-Walt, C., and B.D. Proctor . 2014. Income and Poverty in the United States: 2013. US Census Bureau, Current Population Reports, P60-249, Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office.Google Scholar
- Floyd et al v. The City of New York, 08-CV-1034 SDNY 2013. http://www.nysd.uscourts.gov/cases/show.php?db=special&id=317, accessed 23 June 2014.
- Frankenberg, E., D. Siegel-Hawley, and J. Wang . 2010. Choice Without Equity: Charter School Segregation and the Need for Civil Rights Standards. Los Angeles, CA: The Civil Rights Project/Proyecto Derechos Civiles, UCLA Graduate School of Education & Information Studies.Google Scholar
- Friedman, M. 1962. Capitalism and Freedom. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Friedman, M. 1987. “The Future of Freedom.” Lecture at California Libertarian Party Conference, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub_3x4XDbiE, accessed 26 August 2013.
- Friedman, M. 1994. “Book Discussion on the 50th Anniversary Edition of F. A. Hayek’s Road to Serfdom.” Booknotes, 20 November, http://www.booknotes.org/Watch/61272-1/Milton+Friedman.aspx, accessed 8 August 2013.
- Gilson, D., and C. Perot . 2011. “It’s the Inequality, Stupid.” Mother Jones. February, http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph, accessed 8 August 2013.
- Gleason, P., M. Clark, C.C. Tuttle, and E. Dwoyer . 2010. “The Evaluation of Charter School Impacts.” Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Evaluation and Regional Assistance, Final Report, NCEE 2010-4029.Google Scholar
- Hayek, F.A. 1944. The Road to Serfdom. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Heller, D.E. 2006. “Merit Aid and College Access.” Paper presented at the Symposium on the Consequences of Merit-Based Student Aid, Wisconsin Center for the Advancement of Postsecondary Education, University of Wisconsin, Madison, March.Google Scholar
- Heller, D.E. 2008. “The Impact of Student Loans on College Access”. In, The Effectiveness of Student Aid Policies: What the Research Tells Us, ed. S. Baum, M. McPherson, and P. Steele, 39–67. New York: The College Board.Google Scholar
- Horne v. Martinez. 2011. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-1joLIuXvI&feature=player_embedded, accessed 15 April 2011.
- Huntington, S.P. 1975. “The United States”. In, The Crisis of Democracy, ed. M. Crozier, S.P. Huntington, and J. Watanuki, Report on the Governability of Democracies, 59–118. New York: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Johnson, R. 1991a. “A New Road to Serfdom? A Critical History of the 1988 Act”. In, Education Limited: Schooling, Training and the New Right in England Since 1979, ed. Education Group II, 31–86. London, UK: Unwin Hyman.Google Scholar
- Johnson, R. 1991b. “My New Right Education”. In, Education Limited: Schooling, Training and the New Right in England Since 1979, ed. Education Group II, 87–113. London: Unwin Hyman.Google Scholar
- Kilgore, J. 2011. “Immigration and Mass Incarceration”. Race, Poverty & the Environment 18 (2): 42–43.Google Scholar
- Kochhar, R., R. Fry, and P. Taylor . 2011. “Twenty to One: Wealth Gaps Rise to Record Highs between Whites, Blacks and Hispanics.” Washington, DC: Pew Hispanic Research Center, http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2011/07/26/wealth-gaps-rise-to-record-highs-between-whites-blacks-hispanics/, accessed 15 September 2012.
- Kornbluh, P. 2013. The Pinochet File: A Declassified Dossier on Atrocity and Accountability. New York: The New Press.Google Scholar
- Lansley, S. 2012. “Rising Inequality and Financial Crises: Why Greater Equality Is Essential for Recovery.” London, UK: Centre for Labour, and Social Studies, http://classonline.org.uk/docs/2012.05.09_Class_Think_Piece_-_Stewart_Lansley.pdf, accessed 25 August 2013.
- Libertarian Press. 1974 . “Original ‘Preface’”. In, Planning for Freedom and Twelve Other Essays and Addresses by Ludwig von Mises, ed. Libertarian Press, iii–v. South Holland, IL: Libertarian Press.Google Scholar
- López, I.H. 2013. Dog Whistle Politics: How Coded Racial Appeals Have Reinvented Racism and Wrecked the Middle Class. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Martinez, R.O. 2011. “Demographic Overview of Latino Children”. In, Latina and Latino Children’s Mental Health, ed. N.J. Cabrera, F.A. Villarruel and H.E. Fitzgerald Development and Context Series, vol. 1, 1–30. Santa Barbara, CA: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Miller, D. 2010. “How Neoliberalism Got Where it is: Elite Planning, Corporate Lobbying and the Release of the Free Market”. In, The Rise and Fall of Neoliberalism: The Collapse of an Economic Order?, ed. K. Birch, and V. Mykhnenko, 23–41. New York: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council). 2002. “Corporate America’s Trojan Horse in the States.” New York: NRDC, http://www.alecwatch.org/11223344.pdf, accessed 30 June 2006.
- OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-Operation and Development). 2011. “An Overview of Growing Income Inequalities in OCED Countries: Main Findings.” In Divided We Stand: Why Inequality Keeps Rising. Paris, France: OECD Publishing, http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264119536-en, accessed 25 August 2013.
- Palley, T.I. 2004. “From Keynesianism to Neoliberalism: Shifting Paradigms in Economics”. In, Neoliberalism: A Critical Reader, ed. A. Saad-Filho, and D. Johnston, 20–29. London: Pluto Press.Google Scholar
- Parker, W. 2001. “The Color of Choice: Race and Charter Schools”. Tulane Law Review 75 (3): 563–630.Google Scholar
- Poe-Yamagata, E., and M. Jones . 2000. And Justice for Some: Differential Treatment of Minority Youth in the Justice System. Washington, DC: Building Blocks for Youth.Google Scholar
- Powell, L.F. 1971. “Confidential Memorandum: Attack on American Free Enterprise System,”, http://brianholmes.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/5b-powell_memorandum.pdf, accessed 30 August 2013.
- Project on Government Oversight. 2011. Bad Business: Billions of Taxpayer Dollars Wasted on Hiring Contractors. Washington, DC: POGO.Google Scholar
- Reese, E. 2005. Backlash Against Welfare Mothers: Past and Present. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Robbins, C.G. 2004. “Racism and the Authority of Neoliberalism: A Review of Three New Books on the Persistence of Racial Inequality in a Color-Blind Era”. Journal for Critical Education Policy Studies 2 (2): 1–16.Google Scholar
- Sahin, A., J. Song, G. Topa, and G.L. Violante . 2011. “Measuring Mismatch in the U.S. Labor Market,”, http://www.economicdynamics.org/meetpapers/2012/paper_973.pdf, accessed 27 August 2013.
- Solow, R.M. 1998. “What is Labor-Market Flexibility? What is it Good for? Keynes Lecture.” Proceedings of the British Academy 97: 189–211.Google Scholar
- Tanton, J., and W. Lutton . 1993. “Immigration and Criminality in the U.S.A”. Journal of Social, Political and Economic Studies 18 (2): 217–234.Google Scholar
- The Sentencing Project. 2003. “Hispanic Prisoners in the United States,”, http://www.sentencingproject.org/doc/publications/inc_hispanicprisoners.pdf, accessed 17 June 2010.
- Thiess, R. 2012. “The Future of Work: Trends and Challenges for Low-Wage Workers.” EPI briefing paper 341, http://www.epi.org/publication/bp341-future-of-work/, accessed 8 February 2014.
- U.S. Sentencing Commission. 2013. “2012 Annual report,”, http://www.ussc.gov/Research_and_Statistics/Annual_Reports_and_Sourcebooks/2011/ar11toc.htm, accessed 28 August 2013.
- Villarruel, F., N.E. Walker, P. Minifee, O. Rivera-Vázquez, S. Peterson, and K. Perry . 2002. “¿Dónde está la justicia? A Call to Action on Behalf of Latino and Latina Youth in the U.S. Justice System.” East Lansing: Institute for Children, Youth, and Families, Michigan State University, http://www.cclp.org/documents/BBY/Donde.pdf, accessed 17 October 2006.
- von Mises, L. 1951 (1922). Socialism: An Economic and Sociological Analysis. Trans. J. Nahane., New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- von Mises, L. 1974 (1952). Planning for Freedom and Twelve Other Essays and Addresses by Ludwig von Mises. South Holland, IL: Libertarian Press.Google Scholar
- von Mises, L. 1998 (1940). Interventionism: An Economic Analysis. Irvington on Hudson, NY: Foundation for Economic Education.Google Scholar
- Wacquant, L. 2009b. Prisons of Poverty. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Western Free Press. 2012. “WFP Interviews John Huppenthal, AZ Superintendent of Public Instruction,”, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOqG1niwPx8, accessed 17 May 2012.
- Wootton, B. 1945. Freedom Under Planning. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.Google Scholar