Internet filters and entry pages do not protect children from online alcohol marketing
- 192 Downloads
We review programs and policies to prevent children from accessing alcohol marketing online. To update the literature, we present our recent studies that assess (i) in-built barriers to underage access to alcohol brand websites and (ii) commercial internet filters. Alcohol websites typically had poor filter systems for preventing entry of underage persons; only half of the sites required the user to provide a date of birth, and none had any means of preventing users from trying again. Even the most effective commercial internet filters allowed access to one-third of the sites we examined.
Keywordsalcohol internet regulation children filters
- White, V. and Bariola, E. (2012) Australian Secondary School Students’ Use of Tobacco, Alcohol, and Over-the-counter and Illicit Substances in 2011. Melbourne, Australia: Centre for Behavioural Research in Cancer, The Cancer Council Victoria.Google Scholar
- Chikritzhs, T. and Pascal, R. (2004) Trends in Youth Alcohol Consumption and Related Harms in Australian Jurisdictions, 1990–2002. National Alcohol Indicators, Bulletin 6 Perth, Australia: NDRI.Google Scholar
- Kelly, K. and Edwards, R. (1998) Image advertisements for alcohol products: Is their appeal associated with adolescents' intention to consume alcohol? Adolescence 33 (129): 47–59.Google Scholar
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2011) 8146.0 - Household Use of Information Technology, Australia, 2010-11. Commonwealth of Australia, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/8146.0, accessed 19 November 2012.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics. (2010) 1370.0 - Measures of Australia's Progress, 2010. Commonwealth of Australia, http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/1370.0, accessed 2 October 2012.
- Alcohol Policy Coalition. (2011) Submission to the Inquiry into the Regulation of Billboard and Outdoor Advertising, http://www.aph.gov.au/house/committee/spla/outdoor%20advertising/subs/Sub%2037.pdf, accessed 3 November 2011.Google Scholar
- Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth. (2004) Clicking with Kids: Alcohol Marketing and Youth on the Internet. Washington DC: Health Policy Institute, Georgetown University.Google Scholar
- WorldWideWebSice.com. (2012) The size of the World Wide Web (The Internet), http://www.worldwidewebsize.com/, accessed 19 November 2012.
- Wilhelm, A. (2012) How big is the internet? [Infographic], The Next Web, http://thenextweb.com/shareables/2011/01/11/infographic-how-big-is-the-internet/, accessed 19 November 2012.
- Google. (2013) Terms and conditions, https://support.google.com/plus/answer/1350409?hl=en, accessed 24 May 2013.
- Facebook. (2013) Terms and conditions, https://www.facebook.com/help/210644045634222/, accessed 24 May 2013.
- Facebook. (2013) Guidelines for advertised products and services, https://www.facebook.com/help/399392800124391/, accessed 24 May 2013.
- Gartner. (2013) Key findings from US Digital Marketing Spending Survey, 2013, http://www.gartner.com/technology/research/digital-marketing/digital-marketing-spend-report.jsp, accessed 29 May 2013.
- Madden, M. et al (2013) Teens, Social Media, and Privacy. Washington DC: Pew Research Centre's Internet & American Life Project.Google Scholar
- McMillan, G. (2011) How big is the internet? (Spoiler: Not as big as it’ll be in 2015), http://techland.time.com/2011/06/01/how-big-is-the-internet-spoiler-not-as-big-as-itll-be-in-2015/, accessed 24 September 2012.
- Johnson, S. (2004) Keep Your Kids Safe on the Internet. Emeryville, CA: McGraw-Hill Osbourne Media.Google Scholar
- Chester, J., Montgomery, K. and Dorfman, L. (2010) Alcohol Marketing in the Digital Age. Berkeley, CA: Centre for Digital Democracy & Berkeley Media Studies Group.Google Scholar
- Transparency Market Research. (2013) Web content filtering market - Global forecast, share, size, growth and industry analysis, http://www.transparencymarketresearch.com/web-content-filtering-market.html, accessed 24 May 2013.
- Intangible Business. (2010) The world’s most powerful spirit and wine brands 2010, http://www.drinkspowerbrands.com, accessed 12 September 2011.
- Data Monitor. (2010) Alcoholic drinks in Australia, http://www.datamonitor.com, accessed 12 September 2011.
- Data Monitor. (2010) Beer in Australia, http://www.datamonitor.com, accessed 12 September 2011.
- Data Monitor. (2010) Spirits in Australia, http://www.datamonitor.com, accessed 12 September 2011.
- Australian Internet Industry Association. (2011) http://iia.net.au/index.php/initiatives/familyfriendly-filters.html, accessed 12 September 2011.
- Top Ten Reviews. (2011) http://internet-filter-review.toptenreviews.com/, accessed 12 September 2011.
- Portman Group. (2012) Code of practice on the naming, packaging and promotion of alcoholic drinks, London, http://www.bighospitality.co.uk/Trends-Reports/Greater-protection-for-under-18s-as-the-Portman-Group-s-latest-alcohol-code-comes-into-force, accessed 7 October 2013.
- Federal Trade Commission. (2008) Self-regulation in the alcohol industry, http://www.ftc.gov/os/2008/06/080626alcoholreport.pdf, accessed 24 May 2013.
- The Alcohol Beverages Advertising Code Scheme Ltd. (2011) http://www.abac.org.au/publications/thecode/, accessed 17 September 2011.
- King, E., Taylor, J. and Carroll, T. (2005) Consumer Perceptions of Alcohol Advertising and the Revised Alcohol Beverages Advertising Code. Sydney, Australia: Department of Health and Ageing, http://www.alcohol.gov.au/internet/alcohol/publishing.nsf/Content/consum-percept/$FILE/consum-percept.pdf, accessed 24 September 2012.Google Scholar
- Facebook. (2012) Statistics, http://newsroom.fb.com/Key-Facts, accessed 19 November 2012.
- Heras, K. (2010) Australian mobile internet usage doubles, http://thenextweb.com/au/2010/09/23/australian-mobile-internet-usage-doubles/, accessed 12 September 2011.
- Uberly.com. (2012) Facebook Statistics 2012, http://uberly.com/facebook-statistics-2012/, accessed 19 November 2012.
- socialbakers.com. (2012) Facebook statistics by country – Australia, http://www.socialbakers.com/facebook-statistics/australia, accessed 19 November 2012.
- socialbakers.com. (2012) Facebook brand statistics in Australia, http://www.socialbakers.com/facebook-pages/brands/australia/, accessed 19 November 2012.