Virtual currency, tangible return: Portfolio diversification with bitcoin
- 518 Downloads
Bitcoin (BTC) is a major virtual currency. Using weekly data over the 2010–2013 period, we analyze a BTC investment from the standpoint of a US investor with a diversified portfolio including both traditional assets (worldwide stocks, bonds, hard currencies) and alternative investments (commodities, hedge funds, real estate). Over the period under consideration, BTC investment had highly distinctive features, including exceptionally high average return and volatility. Its correlation with other assets was remarkably low. Spanning tests confirm that BTC investment offers significant diversification benefits. We show that the inclusion of even a small proportion of BTCs may dramatically improve the risk-return trade-off of well-diversified portfolios. Results should however be taken with caution as the data may reflect early-stage behavior that may not last in the medium or long run.
KeywordsBitcoin risk return diversification virtual currency
- Arash, M. and Alloway, T. (2013) Bitcoin ETF plan struggles to find support. The Financial Times 16 July.Google Scholar
- Arthur, C. (2013) Bitcoin: Man charged over Alleged Multimillion-Dollar Ponzi Fraud. The Guardian 24 July.Google Scholar
- Balchunas, E. (2013) Diamonds and Kazakhs and Bitcoins, Oh My: An ETF Parade. Bloomberg, 12 July, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-12/diamonds-and-kazakhs-and-bitcoins-oh-my-an-etf-parade.html, accessed 26 July 2013.
- European Central Bank (ECB) (2012) Virtual Currency Schemes. http://www.ecb.int/pub/pdf/other/virtualcurrencyschemes201210en.pdf, accessed 26 July 2013.
- Gotthold, K. and Eckert, D. (2013) Deutschland erkennt Bitcoin als ‘privates Geld’ an. Die Welt 16 August.Google Scholar
- Grinberg, R. (2012) Bitcoin: An innovative alternative digital currency. Hastings Science & Technology Law Journal 4: 160–207.Google Scholar
- Harper, J. (2013) What is the value of Bitcoin? Cato institute, http://www.cato.org/blog/what-value-bitcoin, accessed 26 July 2013.
- Kan, R. and Zhou, G. (2012) Tests of mean-variance spanning. Annals of Economics and Finance 13 (1): 145–193.Google Scholar
- Michie, R. (1999) The London Stock Exchange. A History, Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Rushe, D. (2013) Bitcoin hits new high before losing $160 in value in one day. The Guardian 10 April.Google Scholar
- Velde, F.R. (2013) Bitcoins: A Primer. Chicago, IL: The Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. Essays on Issues: 317, December.Google Scholar