Currency Regimes, Capital Flows, and Crises
- 1.1k Downloads
Ever since Greece experienced its debt crisis, fiscal discussion has been “Hellenized” — that is, there are constant warnings that other countries, including the United States, are on the verge of a similar crisis. But can countries that borrow in their own currency experience Greek-type crises? I argue, based both on evidence and on simple modeling, that the answer is no.
JEL ClassificationsE50 F30
- Accominotti, O. and Barry Eichengreen, 2013, “The Mother of All Sudden Stops: Capital Flows and Reversals in Europe, 1919–1932,” Berkeley Economic History Laboratory Working Paper 2013/7.Google Scholar
- Calvo, G., A. Izquierdo, and L.-F. Mejia, 2004, “Systemic Sudden Stops: The Relevance of Balance-Sheet Effects and Financial Integration,” NBER Working Paper 14026.Google Scholar
- Corsetti, G., 2008, “New Open Economy Macroeconomics,” in The New Palgrave Dictionary of Economics, Second Edition, ed. by Steven N. Durlauf, and Lawrence E. Blume.Google Scholar
- De Grauwe, Paul, 2011, “The Management of a Fragile Eurozone,” Working Paper, CEPS, April.Google Scholar
- Fleming, Marcus, 1962, “Domestic Financial Policies Under Fixed and Floating Exchange Rates,” IMF Staff Papers 9.Google Scholar
- Flood, R. and P. Garber, 1984, “Collapsing Exchange-Rate Regimes: Some Linear Examples,” Journal of International Economics Vol. 17, No. 1–2, pp. 1–13.Google Scholar
- Greenlaw, D., J. Hamilton, P. Hooper, and F. Mishkin, 2013, “Crunch Time: Fiscal Crises and the Role of Monetary Policy,” NBER Working Paper 19297 (August).Google Scholar
- Krugman, P., 1998, “It’s Baaack: Japan’s Slump and the Return of the Liquidity Trap,” Brookings Papers on Economic Activity.Google Scholar
- Krugman, P., 2013, PPP and Japanese Inflation Expectations. Available via the Internet: krugman. blogs.nytimes.com.
- Mandel, Benjamin and G. Barnes, 2013, Japanese Inflation Expectations, Revisited. Available via the Internet: libertystreeteconomics.nyfed.org.
- Obstfeld, M., 1994, “The Logic of Currency Crises,” Cahiers economiques et monetaires, No. 43, pp. 189–213.Google Scholar
- Rogoff, Kenneth, 2013, “Three Wrongs Don’t Make a Right,” Financial Times A-list blog, October 7.Google Scholar
- Rogers, James Harvey, 1929, The Process of Inflation in France, 1914–27 (New York: Columbia University Press).Google Scholar
- Romer, David, 2013, “Short-Run Fluctuations,” unpublished, Berkeley.Google Scholar