Social media in branding: Fulfilling a need
- 1.9k Downloads
The author, who has worked on the Internet since 1990, and used social networks such as Facebook and Twitter soon after their inception, looks at how these new media can impact on branding.
Keywordssocial media Web branding brand equity engagement collaboration
- Aaker, D. (1991) Managing Brand Equity. San Francisco: Free Press.Google Scholar
- Alani, F. (2010) Did social media change the 2010 general election? Computer Weekly, 14 May, http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/05/14/241237/Did-social-media-change-the-2010-General-Election.htm, accessed 8 January 2011.
- Chua, A.P.H. and Parackal, M. (2009) Co-creating Value through Corporate Blogs: A Proposed Research Framework, 5th National Conference on Computing and Information Technology (NCCIT); 22–23 May, Bangkok, Thailand. Bangkok: King Monjkut's University of Technology.Google Scholar
- Engeseth, S. (2005) One: A Consumer Revolution in Business. London: Cyan–Marshall Cavendish.Google Scholar
- Engeseth, S. (2009) The Fall of PR and the Rise of Advertising. Stockholm: Stefan Engeseth Publishing.Google Scholar
- Gladwell, M. (2010) Small change. New Yorker, 27 September.Google Scholar
- Gross, D . (2010) Has Twitter peaked? CNN.com 26 January, http://edition.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/26/has.twitter.peaked/index.html, accessed 8 January 2011.
- Ind, N. (ed.) (2003) Beyond Branding: How the New Values of Transparency and Integrity are Changing the World of Brands. London: Kogan Page.Google Scholar
- Ind, N. and Bjerke, R. (2007) Branding Governance: A Participatory Approach to the Brand Building Process. Chicester: J. Wiley & Sons, pp. 51–7.Google Scholar
- Kirkpatrick, M. (2009) Obama: ‘I have never used Twitter’. ReadWriteWeb, 15 November, http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/obama_i_have_never_used_twitter.php, accessed 8 January 2011.
- Klein, N. (2000) No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies. New York: Picador.Google Scholar
- Krishnamurthy, B. and Willis, C.E. (2009) On the leakage of personally identifiable information via online social networks. Workshop on Online Social Networks (WOSN), Barcelona, Spain, 17 August.Google Scholar
- Lawler, J.P. and Mollusso, J.C. (2010) A study of the perceptions of students on privacy and security on social networking sites (SNS) on the internet. Journal of Information Systems Applied Research 3 (12): 3–18.Google Scholar
- Quart, A. (2003) Branded: The Buying and Selling of Teenagers. Cambridge, MA: Perseus Publishing.Google Scholar
- Schifferes, S. (2008) Internet key to Obama victories. BBC News, 12 June, http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7412045.stm, accessed 8 January 2011.
- Watkins, S.C. and Lee, H.E. (2010) Got Facebook? Investigating What's Social about Social Media. Austin, TX: University of Texas at Austin.Google Scholar
- Yan, J. (2001) Online branding: An antipodean experience. In: Kim, W., Ling, T.-W., Lee, Y.-J. and Park, S.-S. (eds.) Human Society and the Internet. Berlin: Springer, pp. 185–202.Google Scholar
- Zickuhr, K. (2010) Generations 2010. Washington DC: Pew Research Center.Google Scholar
© Palgrave Macmillan, a division of Macmillan Publishers Ltd 2011