The Home Purchase Sentiment Index: A New Housing Indicator
- 53 Downloads
We built a home purchase sentiment index (HPSI) with consumers’ responses to questions about home buying and selling conditions, income gains and job concerns, and house price and mortgage rate expectations. The HPSI can help forecast mortgage originations and house prices, sales, and starts. Forecasting horse races during 2012–14 show the HPSI handily outperformed other sentiment indices. We show differences in the HPSI by income and by age groups. We also suggest other aspects of housing where survey-based indicators may help, such as demand by millennials or seniors, home owners’ moving, renters’ intentions, and mortgage refinancing, delinquency, or default rates.
Keywordshousing sentiment forecasting index
The author thanks David Berson, Qiang Cai, Steve Deggendorf, Doug Duncan, James Glassman, Hamilton Fout, Mark Palim, Karen Pence, Shane Sherlund, Dan Van Dyke, Mark Winer, and seminar participants at FHFA, Fannie Mae, and FRB San Francisco for helpful comments. Remaining errors are of the author alone.
- Bram, Jason and Sydney Ludvigson . 1998. “Does Consumer Confidence Forecast Household Expenditure? A Sentiment Index Horse Race.” FRBNY Economic Policy Review, 4 (2): 59–78.Google Scholar
- Cai, Qiang, Steve Deggendorf and James A. Wilcox . 2015. Building a Home Purchase Sentiment Index. Working Paper. September. http://www.fanniemae.com/resources/file/research/housingsurvey/pdf/hpsi-whitepaper.pdf.
- Carroll, Christopher D., Jeffrey Fuhrer and David W. Wilcox . 1994. “Does Consumer Sentiment Forecast Household Spending? If So, Why?.” American Economic Review, 84 (5): 1397–1408.Google Scholar
- Longstaff, Francis A. 2002. The Flight-to-Liquidity Premium in U.S. Treasury Bond Prices. National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 9312. October.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, Viet Hoang and Edda Claus . 2013. “Good News, Bad News, Consumer Sentiment and Consumption Behavior.” Journal of Economic Psychology, 39(C) December: 426–438.Google Scholar
- Wilcox, James A. 2016. “Forecasting Housing with Housing Sentiment.” Working paper, February.Google Scholar