More than two decades after the Cadbury Report: How far has Sweden, as role model for corporate-governance practices, come?
The purpose of this study is to follow up on the ‘comply-or-explain’ principle more than two decades after the Cadbury Report was published. We investigate the rate of compliance and quality of explanations provided in case of non-compliance in the context of Sweden. This country has been pointed out as a role model for corporate-governance practices. The empirical study comprises the 241 companies listed on Nasdaq OMX Stockholm in 2014. We analyze the quality of the explanations in the light of the Swedish Corporate Governance Code. Our findings confirm that the comply-or-explain principle in Sweden is effective. Around half of the companies use the possibility to deviate from the Code. A clear majority of the explanations, 71.8%, are informative. This study provides insights for academic scholars and policy-makers alike how the comply-or-explain principle works in a country that is viewed as a role model for how corporate governance should be implemented. In addition, the high-quality explanations provided by listed companies on Nasdaq OMX Stockholm can serve as an inspiration for other listed companies in European countries, thereby outlining a contribution to business practice.
KeywordsComply-or-explain Swedish Corporate Governance Code Nasdaq OMX
- Akkermans, D., H. Van Ees, N. Hermes, R.Van Hooghiemstra, G. der Laan, T. Postma, and A. Van Witteloostuijn. 2007. Corporate governance in the Netherlands: An overview of the application of the Tabaksblat Code in 2004. Corporate Governance: An International Review 15 (6): 1106–1118.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cadbury, A. 1992. Report of the committee on the financial aspects of corporate governance. London: Gee and Co.Google Scholar
- European Commission. 2011. Green paper: The EU corporate governance framework. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=COM:2011:0164:FIN:EN:PDF. Accessed 15 Feb 2016.
- Haxhi, I., H. van Ees, and A. Sorge. 2013. A political perspective on business elites and institutional embeddedness in the UK code-issuing process. Corporate Governance: An International Review 21 (6): 535–546.Google Scholar
- Lekvall, P. 2009. The Swedish Corporate Governance Model: The Handbook of International Corporate Governance, 368–376. London: Institute of Directors.Google Scholar
- Nasdaq. 2016. Rules and regulations. http://business.nasdaq.com/list/Rules-and-Regulations/European-rules/nasdaq-stockholm/index.html. Accessed 10 Feb 2016.
- RiskMetrics Group. 2009. Study on monitoring and enforcement practices in corporate governance in the member states. http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/company/docs/ecgforum/studies/comply-or-explain-090923_en.pdf. Accessed 8 Feb 2016.
- SOU. 2004. 130 Statens Offentliga Utredning 2004, 130. Svensk kod för bolagsstyrning [The Swedish Code for corporate governance].Google Scholar
- Svernlöv, C. 2005. Kodens regler om finansiell rapportering och revision [The code’s rules on financial reporting and auditing]. Balans 3.Google Scholar
- Swedish Corporate Governance Code. 2010. The Swedish Corporate Governance Code. Stockholm: Swedish Corporate Governance Board.Google Scholar
Governance information 2014
- Arcam AB. 2015. Annual Report 2014. http://www.arcamgroup.com/files/Arcam-Annual-Report-2014-ENG-final.pdf. Accessed 8 March 2016.
- Com Hem AB. 2015. Corporate Governance Report 2014. http://www.comhemgroup.se/sv/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2015/04/Com-Hem-Corporate-Governance-Report-2014.pdf. Accessed 14 March 2016.
- Duroc AB. 2015. Årsredovisning 2014. http://www.duroc.com/media/1310734/årsredovisning-2014.pdf. Accessed 14 March 2016.
- Elanders AB. 2015. Annual Report 2014. http://www.elanders.com/group/investor-relations/annual-reports-and-quarterly-reports/annual-reports/. Accessed 14 March 2016.
- Fabege AB. 2015. Corporate Governance Report 2014. http://www.fabege.se/Documents/Detta%20%C3%A4r%20Fabege/Bolagsstyrning/Bolagsstyrningsrapport/Corporate%20Governance%20Report-2014.pdf. Accessed 14 March 2016.
- Fenix Outdoor International AG. 2015. Annual Report 2014. http://www.fenixoutdoor.se/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Fenix-Annual-Report-2014.pdf. Accessed 14 March 2016.
- Oasmia Pharmaceutical AB. 2015. Annual Report 2014/2015. http://www.oasmia.com/html/upl/605/Oasmia%20Pharmaceutical%20Annual%20Report%202015.pdf. Accessed 16 March 2016.
- Oriflame AB. 2015. Corporate Governance Report 2014. http://investors.oriflame.com/files/press/oriflame/Oriflame_Cosmetics_Corporate_Governance_Report_2014.pdf. Accessed 16 March 2016.
- Svedberg AB. 2015. Årsredovisning 2014. http://www.svedbergs.se/globalassets/flipbooks/arsred-2014/pdf/sve_arsredovisning_2014.pdf. Accessed 18 March 2016.
- Svenska Handelsbanken AB. 2015. Annual Report 2014. https://www.handelsbanken.se/shb/inet/icentsv.nsf/vlookuppics/investor_relations_en_hb_14_highlights/$file/hb_14_highlights.pdf Accessed 18 March 2016.
- SKF AB. 2015. Annual Report 2014. http://www.skf.com/group/investors/reports/skf-annual-report-2014-financial-environmental-and-social-performance Accessed 18 March 2016.
- Traction AB. 2015. Årsredovisning 2014. http://www.traction.se/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2014-rsredovisning1.pdf. Accessed 21 March 2016.
- Wallenstam AB. 2015. Annual Report 2014. http://vp197.alertir.com/files/press/wallenstam/201503265027-1.pdf. Accessed 22 March 2016.