Hearing everyone in the feedback loop: using the new discussion platform, Unitu, to enhance the staff and student dialogue
- 74 Downloads
Changes within the higher education sector have started to redefine some aspects of the relationship between the learner and the learning institution. In particular, there is now significantly more emphasis on ‘the student voice’, whether as a form of ‘customer’ feedback or as a vehicle for change in which students become active agents supporting enhanced provision within their learning environments. Institutions have become increasingly cognisant of the need to increase the amount, timeliness and ease with which students can provide feedback. This article will explore the design, implementation and impact of a project to introduce a new student discussion platform, Unitu, into the Department of Politics and International Relations at the University of Reading from 2015 to 2016. It finds that this form of online engagement, together with the functionality of the platform, has the potential to encourage student feedback, indicate how representative this feedback is, support the role of student representatives, enable timely staff–student dialogue and enhance the visibility of institutional responses in order to help improve teaching and learning provision.
KeywordsTechnology-enhanced learning Student voice Student feedback
- Bates, L. 2015. Female academics face huge sexist bias-no wonder there are so few of them. The Guardian, 13th February. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2015/feb/13/female-academics-huge-sexist-bias-students. Accessed August 30, 2018.
- Benevenuto, F., T. Rodrigues, M. Cha, and V. Almeida. 2009. Characterizing User Behaviour in Online Social Networks. https://homepages.dcc.ufmg.br/~fabricio/download/imc126-benevenuto.pdf. Accessed March 29, 2019.
- Blair, E. 2017. Hearing the student voice: finding value in feedback. http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/education/2017/05/04/hearing-the-student-voice-finding-value-in-feedback/. Accessed August 30, 2018.
- Brennan, J., and R. Williams. 2004. Collecting and using Student Feedback: A guide to good practice. New York: Learning and Teaching Support Network. https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/system/files/id352_collecting_and_using_student_feedback_a_guide_to_good_practice.pdf. Accessed August 30, 2018.
- Campbell, F., L. Beasley, J. Eland, and A. Rumpus. 2007. Hearing the Student Voice: Promoting and encouraging the effective use of the student voice to enhance professional development in learning, teaching and assessment within higher education: Final Report. https://dera.ioe.ac.uk/13053/. Accessed April 4, 2019.
- Clarkson, J. 2017. The right tools for the job: Harnessing the power of student voice through HearNow. http://www.efficiencyexchange.ac.uk/12460/the-right-tools-for-the-job-harnessing-the-power-of-student-voice-through-hearnow/. Accessed March 26, 2019.
- Dearing, R. 1997. Higher Education in the Learning Society: Report of the National Committee of Inquiry into Higher Education. London: Stationary Office.Google Scholar
- Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. 2011. Students at the Heart of the System. London: Stationery Office.Google Scholar
- Dickinson, L., and A. Fox. 2016. Who owns the student voice? A study of students’ perceptions of student voice in higher education. Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change. https://journals.gre.ac.uk/index.php/studentchangeagents/article/view/233. Accessed August 30, 2018.
- Electric Paper. 2013. Closing the Loop: Are universities doing enough to act on student feedback from course evaluation surveys? http://www.evasys.co.uk/files/EP%20England/Research%20and%20Stories/EvaSys-Report-Closing-the-Loop.pdf. Accessed March 26, 2019.
- Healey, M., A. Flint, and K. Harrington. 2014. Engagement through partnership: students as partners in learning and teaching in higher education. New York: Higher Education Academy. https://www.heacademy.ac.uk/engagement-through-partnership-students-partners-learning-and-teachinghigher-education. Accessed June 23, 2018.
- Koh, Y. 2014. Report: 44% of Twitter Accounts have never sent a Tweet. The Wall Street Journal, 11th April. https://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/04/11/new-data-quantifies-dearth-of-tweeters-on-twitter/. Accessed May 4, 2019.
- Lesnik-Oberstein, K. 2015. Let UK Universities Do What They Do Best—Teaching and Research. The Guardian, 6th July. https://www.theguardian.com/education/2015/jul/06/let-uk-universities-do-what-they-do-best-teaching-and-research. Accessed May 4, 2019.
- Mayhew, E. 2019. No longer a silent partner: How Mentimeter can enhance teaching and learning within political science. Journal of Political Science Education. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15512169.2018.1538882?journalCode=upse20. Accessed May 4, 2019.
- Naylor, L., J. Lay, and C. Mattinson. 2017. Capturing the student voice: creating more effective mechanisms for listening. Journal of Educational Innovation, Partnership and Change 3, no. (2), https://journals.gre.ac.uk/index.php/studentchangeagents/article/view/528. Accessed August 30, 2018.
- Smith, P., and O. Morris. 2011. Effective Course Evaluation—The Future for Quality Standards in Higher Education. London: Electric Paper Ltd. http://www.evasys.co.uk/files/EP%20England/Research%20and%20Stories/EvaSys-Report-Effective-Course-Evaluation.pdf. Accessed August 30, 2018.
- Spanner, L. 2018. Is student engagement empowering? http://tsep.org.uk/is-student-engagement-empowering/. Accessed August 30, 2018.
- Unitu. n.d. The Student Voice Platform. https://unitu.co.uk/. Accessed August 30, 2018.