Introduction: towards a better understanding of corruption and anti-corruption
- 6 Downloads
Despite widespread interest in corruption and how to root it out, the problem continues to grow. Anti-corruption strategies and methods have proved ineffective in achieving lasting reductions in corruption. Anti-corruption academic research has not been free of criticism, and part of the problem is its emphasis on macro-level analysis. The case studies in corruption and anti-corruption in this symposium focus on specific areas that have received surprisingly little attention in the literature: the effectiveness of political finance supervisory bodies; the impact of European Union post-conditionality on anti-corruption efforts; and the increased use of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) in shaping the way that corruption is conceptualised and combated on a global scale. Together, the articles in this symposium offer some novel insights and approaches to the issue of how best to understand and assess different ways of addressing corruption in specific sectors which have received insufficient attention in the literature to date.
KeywordsPolitical corruption Anti-corruption Anti-corruption research Political financing supervisory bodies European Union post-conditionality impact Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
- Borz, G. 2018. Combating corruption in Europe: A stimulus-response approach. European Political Science. https://doi.org/10.1057/s41304-018-0151-1.
- Cooley, A., and J. Snyder (eds.). 2016. Ranking the world. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Davis, K.E., A. Fisher, B. Kingsbury, and S. Engle Merry (eds.). 2012. Governance by indicators. Oxford: OUP.Google Scholar
- Engle Merry, S., Davis, K.E., and Kingsbury, B. 2015 (eds), The quiet power of indicators. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- De Sousa, L. 2018 Measuring the Enforcement capacity of political financing supervisory bodies. European Political Science.Google Scholar
- Gutterman, E. 2018. Banning Bribes Abroad: U.S. enforcement of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and its impact on the global governance of corruption. European Political Science.Google Scholar
- Johnston, M. 2014. Corruption, contention, and reform: The power of deep democratization. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Pyman, M. 2017. The unhelpful nature of anti-corruption research; as seen by people trying to develop solutions, CDA perspectives, http://www.blog.cdacollaborative.org/the-unhelpful-nature-of-anti-corruption-research-as-seen-by-people-trying-to-develop-solutions/?src=blog33. Accessed 28 April 2017.