What is Blue Labour?
- 23 Downloads
The essay ‘Corbynism and Blue Labour: post-liberalism and national populism in the British Labour Party’ by Harry Pitts and Matt Bolton sets out to define the flaws in the competing philosophies of Corbynism and Blue Labour, identify their similarities, and dismiss them both in favour of a third undefined philosophical alternative of ‘critical Marxism’. This proposed alternative would be capable of ‘holding the centre’. Our response argues that their criticism is based on a caricature of Blue Labour and that Corbynism is not an identifiable and coherent political philosophy. The hard-left politics of Jeremy Corbyn and his allies bear little relation to the agonistic politics of Blue Labour.
KeywordsCorbynism Blue Labour Sovereignty National populism Post-liberalism
- Anderson, B. 1983. Imagined Communities Reflections on the Origins and Spread of Nationalism. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Benedict, R. 1968. Patterns of Culture. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bogdanor, V. 2016. Learning from History? The 1975 Referendum on Europe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BijWSNYPSn8&t=1714s.
- Burke, E. 2004. Reflections on the Revolution in France. London, Penguin.Google Scholar
- Crick, B. 2005. In Defence of Politics. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Elias, N. 1991. The Society of Individuals. London: Continuum.Google Scholar
- Hobhouse, L. 1922. Social Evolution and Political Theory. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Thompson, E.P. 1961a. The Long Revolution (Part1). New Left Review, 9, May–June.Google Scholar
- Thompson, E.P. 1961b. The Long Revolution (Part II). New Left Review, 10, July–August.Google Scholar
- Thompson, P. and F.H. Pitts. 2017. Perspectives for Open Labour: A Politics of Radical Pessimism. Open Labour.Google Scholar
- Williams, R. 1982. Culture and Society. London: The Hogarth Press.Google Scholar
- Williams, R. 1958. Culture is Ordinary. In Resources of Hope: Culture, Democracy, Socialism, ed. R. Gable. London: Verso.Google Scholar
- Williams, R. 1971. The Long Revolution. London: Pelican.Google Scholar