How does the routing of FDI to and via tax havens confound our understanding of Chinese MNE identity? A critical review of the empirical literature on Chinese MNEs
- 4 Downloads
An extensive empirical literature tests the motivations and characteristics of the outward foreign direct investments of Chinese MNEs. Much of it, however, suffers from serious shortcomings in its treatment and use of foreign direct investment data. In particular, most research fails to properly account for the ways in which Chinese MNEs route their foreign direct investments both to and via tax havens and financial centers. As a result, our understanding of the identity of Chinese MNEs still remains embryonic. We outline the nature of the most commonly found problems so as to inform future research.
KeywordsTax havens FDI data Chinese MNEs Special purpose entities Measuring MNE activity
- Buckley, P. J., Clegg, L. J., Cross, A. R., Liu, X., Voss, H., & Zheng, P. (2007). The determinants of Chinese outward foreign direct investment. Journal of International Business Studies, 38(4), 499–518.Google Scholar
- Cheng, L., & Ma, Z. (2007). China’s outward FDI: past and future.Google Scholar
- Hanson, J. M., Krakower, H., Mataloni, R., & Pinard, K. L. S. (2015). The effects of corporate inversions on the International and National Economic Accounts. BEA Briefing, 3–4.Google Scholar
- Hennart, J. F. (1982). A theory of multinational enterprise. Ann Arbour: University of Michigan Press.Google Scholar
- IMF. (1993). Balance of payments manual. IMF: Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Kolstad, I., & Wiig, A. (2012). What determines Chinese outward FDI? Journal of World Business, 47(1), 26–34. Retrieved from http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S109095161000074X
- Lipsey, R. E. (2007). Defining and measuring the location of fdi output. NBER Working Paper Series Working Paper 12996. Retrieved from http://papers.nber.org/papers/w12996
- Lu, J., Liu, X., Wright, M., & Filatotchev, I. (2014). International experience and FDI location choices of Chinese firms: The moderating effects of home country government support and host country institutions. Journal of International Business Studies, 45(4), 428–449. https://doi.org/10.1057/jibs.2013.68.Google Scholar
- MOFCOM (2016). China’s Outward Foreign Direct Investment Bulletin. State Statistical Bureau.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2015). Implementing the latest international standards for compiling foreign direct investment statistics: FDI statistics by the ultimate investing country, (March). Retrieved from https://www.oecd.org/daf/inv/FDI-statistics-by-ultimate-investing-country.pdf.
- OECD. (2018). OECD Stat. Retrieved from https://stats.oecd.org/
- Sutherland, D., & Ning, L. (2010). On the Internationalization of China’s Big Business Groups after Three Decades of Reform. In Thirty Years of China’s Economic Reform: Institutions, Management Organizations and Foreign Investment (pp. 169–218).Google Scholar
- Whichard, O. G. (2008). Multiple Indicators for Multiple uses: United States Statistics on Foreign Direct Investment. OECD Global Investment Forum conference. Retrieved from http://www.oecd.org/investment/globalforum/40311901.pdf.