Action in culture: Act I of the presidential primary campaign in the U.S., April to December, 2015
- 132 Downloads
This article offers a thick description of the United States during the first nine months of the 2016 presidential election competition. It argues that this competition is organized in a theatrical way, and that this period, from April to December 2015, represents act one of the drama. It argues that performances in act one contribute to setting the cultural and interpretive conditions in which citizens will enter and act back on the drama in its subsequent acts, in state primaries and caucuses, and in the general election in November 2016. Building on the works of Roland Barthes and Clifford Geertz, the article gives a structural, or semiotic, interpretation of the dominant symbols and discourses operating in the dramatic field, and using Alexander’s cultural pragmatics, it identifies and analyzes key performances given by candidates Clinton and Trump, which crystalized particular meaning formations and lent the proceedings a sense of dynamism and flow. The article demonstrates how analyzing performances in a manner consistent with cultural pragmatic theory contributes to research on electoral politics, political authority, and legitimation processes.
Keywordscultural pragmatics structural hermeneutics performance charisma politics elections action in culture
The author thanks Jeffrey Alexander and Samuel Nelson for encouraging this project and sharing informal reflections on its theme, and the anonymous reviewers for their insightful comments and recommendations.
- ABC News This Week. (2015) Donald Trump and Ben Carson, 22 November 2015, www.abcnews.go.com/Politics/week-transcript-donald-trump-ben-carson/story?id=35336008, transcript accessed 30 November 2015.
- Acosta, J. (2015) Bernie Sanders jabs Hillary Clinton on trade: ‘Are you on the side of working people?’ CNN, 20 April, http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/20/politics/bernie-sanders-hillary-clinton-trade-2016-elections/, accessed 20 November 2015.
- Alexander, J. (2013) Legitimation crisis: Recovering the performance of power. American Sociological Association Section on the Sociology of Culture Newsletter 6(3): 8-10.Google Scholar
- Alexander, J. and Jaworsky, N. (2014) Obama Power. Cambridge, UK: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Alexander, J. and Smith, P. (2003) The strong program in cultural sociology: Elements of a structural hermeneutics. In: The Meanings of Social Life. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 11–26.Google Scholar
- Bakhtin, M. (1968) Rabelais and His World. Cambridge: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Barthes, R. (1977a) The photographic message. In: Image, Music, Text. New York: Hill and Wang, pp. 15–31.Google Scholar
- Barthes, R. (1977b) Rhetoric of the image. in Image, Music, Text. New York: Hill and Wang, pp. 32–51.Google Scholar
- Barthes, R. (1977c) Introduction to the structural analysis of narratives. In: Imagine, Music, Text. New York: Hill and Wang, pp 79–124.Google Scholar
- Barthes, R. (1990 ) The Fashion System. UC Press.Google Scholar
- Barthes, R. (1997) A few words from Monsieur Poujade. In: The Eiffel Tower and Other Mythologies. UC Press, pp. 51–53.Google Scholar
- Barthes, R. (1999 ) Photography and electoral appeal. In: Mythologies. New York: Hill and Wang, pp. 91–93.Google Scholar
- Berman, E. (2015) This 20-year-old movie predicted the uproar over Trump’s ‘SNL’ Appearance, Time.com, 6 November, http://time.com/4102910/trump-saturday-night-live-bob-roberts, accessed 14 November 2015.
- Bump, P. (2015) Donald Trump’s surprisingly savvy analysis of American politics, Washington Post, 16 August, http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/08/16/donald-trumps-surprisingly-savvy-comment-about-american-politics, accessed 17 August 2015.
- Carroll, L. (2015) What Hillary Clinton really said about TPP and the ‘gold standard,’ Politifact, 13 October, http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2015/oct/13/hillary-clinton/what-hillary-clinton-really-said-about-tpp-and-gol/, accessed 18 November 2015.
- Chozick, A. (2015) Hillary Clinton walks Tightrope as pressure grows to take stance on trade deal, New York Times, 13 May, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/13/us/politics/hillary-clinton-walks-tightrope-as-pressure-grows-to-take-stance-on-trade-deal.html, accessed 20 November 2015.
- Colagrande, J. (2015) Why do presidential elections in the USA take forever? Huffington Post, 10 August, 2015, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jj-colagrande/why-do-presidential-elect_b_7952490.html, accessed 20 November 2015.
- Douthat, R. (2015) Is Donald Trump a fascist? New York Times, 3 December, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/03/opinion/campaign-stops/is-donald-trump-a-fascist.html, accessed 3 December 2015.
- Durkheim, E. (1912 ) The Elementary Forms of Religious Life. New York: The Free Press.Google Scholar
- FOX News. (2015) Rep. Kevin McCarthy how he would differ from John Boehner, 29 September, http://video.foxnews.com/v/4519442873001, accessed 30 October 2015.
- FOX News Sunday. (2015) Carson rides post-debate bump into Iowa; Gowdy talks Clinton’s widening email scandal, 16 August, http://www.foxnews.com/transcript/2015/08/16/carson-rides-post-debate-bump-into-iowa-gowdy-talks-clinton-widening-email, transcript accessed 31 August 2015.
- Geertz, C. (1973a) Thick description: Toward an interpretive theory of culture. In: The Interpretation of Cultures. New York: Basic Books, pp. 3–30.Google Scholar
- Geertz, C. (1973b) Deep play: Notes on the Balinese cockfight. In: The Interpretation of Cultures. New York: Basic Books, pp. 412–453.Google Scholar
- Haberman, M. (2015) Hillary Clinton expected to treat Bernie Sanders gingerly. New York Times, 30 April, http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/04/30/hillary-clinton-expected-to-treat-bernie-sanders-gingerly/, accessed 11 November 2015.
- Jakobson, R. (1990 ) Two aspects of language and two types of aphasic disturbances. In: On Language: Roman Jakobson. Wagh and Monville Burston. Harvard University Press, pp. 115–133.Google Scholar
- Koblin, J. (2015) Republican debate draws 24 million viewers, New York Times, 8 August, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/08/business/media/republican-debate-draws-24-million-viewers.html, accessed 8 August 2015.
- Kurtzleben, D. (2015) Canada Reminds Us That American Elections Are Much Longer, NPR.org, 21 October, 2015, http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/10/21/450238156/canadas-11-week-campaign-reminds-us-that-american-elections-are-much-longer, accessed 20 November 2015.
- MacGillis, A. (2015) Permanent insanity: It’s absurd that the presidential campaign season is beginning 21 months before Election Day, Slate, 3 February, http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/02/presidential_campaigns_are_beginning_far_too_early_the_permanent_campaign.html, accessed 20 November 2015.
- Marx, K. (1990) The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte. New York: International Publishers.Google Scholar
- Mast, J. (2013) The Performative Presidency: Crisis and Resurrection During the Clinton Years. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Newell, J. (2015) Democrats Just Can’t Muster That Much Enthusiasm for 2016, Slate, 9 November, http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2015/11/hillary_clinton_s_candidacy_doesn_t_have_democrats_excited_president_obama.html, accessed 15 November 2015.
- Parlapiano, A. (2015) How Presidential Campaigns Became Two-Year Marathons, New York Times, 16 April 2015, http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/17/upshot/how-presidential-campaigns-became-two-year-marathons.html, accessed 20 November 2015.
- PBS NewsHour. (2015a). Shields and Gerson on Trump’s immigration politics, Carter’s cancer news, 21 August, http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/shields-gerson-trumps-immigration-politics-carters-cancer-news, transcript accessed 31 August 2015.
- PBS NewsHour. (2015b) Shields & Brooks on Church Shooting, Pope’s environmentalism, 19 June, http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/shields-brooks-church-shooting-popes-environmentalism, transcript accessed 14 August 2015.
- PBS NewsHour. (2015c) Brooks and Dionne on Trump’s anti-immigrant talk, Confederate flag retirement, 10 July, http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/brooks-dionne-trumps-anti-immigrant-talk-confederate-flag-retirement, transcript accessed 14 August 2015.
- PBS NewsHour. (2015d) Shields and Brooks on GOP debate standouts, Schumer’s Iran deal rejection, 7 August, http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/shields-brooks-gop-debate-standouts-schumers-iran-deal-rejection, transcript accessed 14 August 2015.
- PBS NewsHour. (2015e) Shields and Brooks on guns, Iran, and whether Clinton’s emails will turn into scandal, 24 July, http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/shields-brooks-guns-iran-whether-clintons-emails-will-turn-scandal, transcript accessed 14 August 2015.
- Ricoeur, P. (1988) Time and Narrative Vol.3. Translated by Kathleen Blamey and David Pellauer. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Rikeus. (2016) Why is the US election cycle so long, Reddit, 3 January, https://www.reddit.com/r/explainlikeimfive/comments/3zar56/eli5_why_is_the_us_election_cycle_so_long/, accessed 3 January 2016.
- Rucker, P. and Johnson, J. (2015) Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, and chaos visit the Iowa State Fair, Washington Post, 15 August, https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/donald-trump-hillary-clinton-and-chaos-visit-the-iowa-state-fair/2015/08/15/295e4150-42d6-11e5-8ab4-c73967a143d3_story.html, accessed 21 November 2015.
- Steinberg, B. (2015) Fox New’s Primetime Republican Debate Snares 24 Million Viewers, Variety, 7 August, http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/ratings-fox-news-republican-debate-1201559312/, accessed 2 December 2015.
- Steinberg, B. and Kissell, R. (2015) Jon Stewart’s ‘Daily Show’ Finale Sets Ratings Records Thanks to DVR Playback, Variety, 7 August, http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/ratings-jon-stewart-daily-show-finale-1201559242/, accessed 2 December 2015.
- Turner, V. (1995 ) The Ritual Process: Structure and Anti-structure. New York: Aldine de Gruter.Google Scholar
- Washington Post Staff (2015) Full text: Clinton testifies before House committee on Benghazi, Washington Post, 22 October, https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/22/transcript-clinton-testifies-before-house-committee-on-benghazi, accessed 3 November 2015.