Quality of work life of bank security guards in Brazil: a research note
Private security work is seen as traditionally outsourced ‘non-core’ work and a low-status job, and its skills are undervalued. Further, security guards tend to receive little attention from their employers regarding the aspects influencing the quality of work life (QWL). To contribute to an analysis of this issue, this work presents an exploratory approach to assess the QWL of bank security guards. By conducting a case study in 43 branches of a Brazilian city, categories and thresholds were defined to classify the QWL level, and the quartiles analysis was suggested to identify the most critical items that must be prioritized to improve the QWL of bank security guards. As a result, the most critical items concerning the QWL are related to remuneration, career growth, equipment weight, and non-compliance with safety standards.
KeywordsQuality of work life Environmental factors Bank security guards Bank industry Job satisfaction
The authors acknowledge the support provided by the Carlos Chagas Filho Research Support Foundation of Rio de Janeiro (FAPERJ) and CAPES.
- Agresti, A., and B. Finlay. 2009. Statistical Methods for the Social Sciences, 4th ed. New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- dos Santos Barcelos, M. R., and A.L.P. Freitas. 2013. An exploratory analysis of quality of working life in the banking sector. Brazilian Journal of Operations and Production Management, 10 (2): 91–102. http://bjopm.emnuvens.com.br/bjopm/article/view/V10N2A9/159.
- Brazil Presidency of the Republic. 2012. ‘Law No. 12,740, of December 8, 2012.’ Brasilia, Brazil. http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/_ato2011-2014/2012/lei/l12740.htm.
- Brazil Presidency of the Republic. 2015 ‘Decree No. 89,056, of November 24, 1983.’, Republic Diary, 1st series—n o 116. http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/decreto/Antigos/D89056.htm.
- Brazil Presidency of the Republic. 2016 ‘Law No. 7,102, of June 20, 1983.’, Republic Diary, 1st series—n o 116. https://dre.pt/application/file/67508032.
- Cerqueira, D., et al. 2017 Atlas of Violence 2017. Brasilia, Brazil. http://www.ipea.gov.br/portal/images/170609_atlas_da_violencia_2017.pdf.
- CONTRASP—National Confederation of Private Security Workers. 2017. 10th National Survey of Bank Attacks—2016. Brazil. http://contrasp.org.br/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/bancos2016.pdf.
- Duarte, D.V.R., E.C.P. Borin, and M. Almeida. 2010. ‘Quality of work life—QWL and its influence in the life of banking. Polêm! ca 9 (4): 74–81.Google Scholar
- FBSP—Brazilian Forum on Public Security. 2016. Brazilian Public Security Yearbook 2016. http://www.forumseguranca.org.br/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Anuario_Site_27-01-2017-RETIFICADO.pdf.
- Federal Police Department. 2013. ‘Ordinance No. 3233/2012-DG/DPF, of 10 December, 2012.’ Brasilia, Brazil, p. 219. http://www.pf.gov.br/servicos-pf/seguranca-privada/legislacao-normas-e-orientacoes/portarias/Portaria n3233.12.DG-DPF.pdf.
- FENAVIST. National Federation of Security and Transport Companies. 2017. V ESSEG—5th Study of the Private Security Sector. Brasilia, Brazil. http://www.fenavist.org.br/static/media/essegs/ESSEG_V.pdf.
- Freitas, A.L.P., and M.R.D.S. Barcelos. 2018. Developing and Testing a Methodological Approach to Assess the QWL in Retail Banks. In Advances in Human Factors, Business Management and Leadership, ed. J.I. Kantola, T. Barath, and S. Nazir, 503–516. Cham: Springer International Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-60372-8_48.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Freitas, A.L.P., N.R.C. Manhães, and M.I. Cozendey. 2006 ‘Using SERVQUAL to evaluate the quality of information technology services: an experimental analysis’, in XII International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Operations Management. Fortaleza, CE, Brazil, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Hair, J.F., et al. 2006. Multivariate Data Analysis, 6th ed. New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- IBGE—Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics. 2017a. ‘Cities’. http://www.cidades.ibge.gov.br/xtras/home.php.
- IBGE—Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics. 2017b. ‘PNAD—National Survey by Continuous Household Sample 2016: some characteristics of the workforce by color or race’. Brasília, DF, Brazil, p. 7. ftp://ibge.gov.br/Trabalho_e_Rendimento/Pesquisa_Nacional_por_Amostra_de_Domicilios_continua/Trimestral/Caracteristicas_da_forca_de_trabalho_por_cor_ou_raca/Algumas_caracteristicas_da_forca_de_trabalho_por_cor_ou_raca_2016_04_trimestre.pdf.
- IBGE—Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics. 2018. Are we all the same?, Portraits—the IBGE magazine. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. https://agenciadenoticias.ibge.gov.br/media/com_mediaibge/arquivos/17eac9b7a875c68c1b2d1a98c80414c9.pdf.
- Junor, A. et al. 2014. ‘Views of skill in low-wage jobs: Australian security guards and cleaners’, in Proceedings of the 28th Annual Conference of AIRAANZ, 28th Annual Conference of AIRAANZ. Melbourne, Australia, pp. 1–5.Google Scholar
- Karacan, E. 2011. Job satisfaction of private security guards. Kocaeli Üniversitesi Sosyal Bilimler Enstitüsü Dergisi 2 (22): 203–239.Google Scholar
- Leblebici, D. 2012. Impact of Workplace Quality on Employee’s Productivity: Case Study of a Bank in Turkey. Journal of Business, Economics & Finance 1 (1): 38–49.Google Scholar
- SEEVISSP. 2018. Union of employees in surveillance security and similar companies in São Paulo. ‘Table of positions and salaries’. São Paulo, Brazil. http://seevissp.org.br/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/TABELA-DE-CÁLCULO-OFICIAL-2018-ASSINADA.pdf.
- SINDVIG—Union of Security Guards and Workers at Security Companies. 2018. ‘Salary Table 2018’. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. https://www.sindvig.org.br/imagens/ea476d3791e188238b8f77830bf36b11.pdf.
- Su-li, Z., and L. Li-rong. 2008. ‘The treadmill effect on the utility of quality of working life’, 2008 International Conference on Management Science and Engineering 15th Annual Conference Proceedings, (70671046), pp. 934–938. https://doi.org/10.1109/icmse.2008.4669024.
- Tabassum, A., T. Rahman, and K. Jahan. 2011. Quality of Work Life Among Male and Female Employees of Private Commercial Banks in Bangladesh. International Journal of Economics and Management 5 (1): 266–282.Google Scholar
- Walton, R.E. 1973. Quality of Working Life: What is It? Sloan Management Review 15 (1): 11–21.Google Scholar