Applying psychoanalysis to community mediation: An alternative to racist criminalization by the courts
- 18 Downloads
The author, a racial justice activist, psychoanalyst, and community mediator, applies intersubjective systems theory and a transformative mediation approach to a felony case in a criminal court mediation. She assesses the benefits and limitations of the two relational models that inform her work. Racial self-awareness is a critical feature for the author, a white mediator, working with families entangled in the racially biased criminal justice system.
Keywordstransformative mediation applied psychoanalysis racism intersubjectivity
- Alexander, M. (2011) The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness. New York: The New Press.Google Scholar
- Altman, N. (2010) The Analyst in the Inner City: Race, Class, and Culture Through a Psychoanalytic Lens. New York: Routledge Press.Google Scholar
- Altman, N. (2006) Whiteness. Psychoanalytic Quarterly 75(1): 45–72. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2167-4086.2006.tb00032.x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Altman, N. (2015) Psychoanalysis in an Age of Accelerating Cultural Change: Spiritual Globalization. Hove, East Sussex; New York, NY: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Benjamin, J. (1998) Shadow of the Other: Intersubjectivity and Gender in Psychoanalysis. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Bion, W.R. (1989) Experiences in Groups, and Other Papers. London: Tavistock/Routledge.Google Scholar
- Biss, E. (2015) White debt: Reckoning with what is owed—and can never be repaid—for racial privilege. The New York Times, 2 December.Google Scholar
- Bush, R.A.B. and Folger, J.P. (2005) The Promise of Mediation: The Transformative Approach to Conflict (Rev. ed). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Bush, B. and Pope, S.G. (2002) Changing the quality of conflict interaction: The principles and practice of transformative mediation. Pepperdine Dispute Resolution Law Journal 3(1): 67–96.Google Scholar
- Cash, W.J. (1991) The Mind of the South. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Coates, T-N. (2014) The case for reparations. The Atlantic, June 2014. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2014/06/the-case-for-reparations/361631/, accessed 20 March 2018.
- Coates, T-N. (2015) The black family in the age of mass incarceration. The Atlantic, October 2015. https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/10/the-black-family-in-the-age-of-mass-incarceration/403246/, accessed 20 March 2018.
- Collins, P.H. (2006) Black Sexual Politics: African Americans, Gender, and the New Racism. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Cushman, P. (1995) Constructing the Self, Constructing America: A Cultural History of Psychotherapy. Cambridge, MA: Perseus Pub.Google Scholar
- DiAngelo, R. (2011) White fragility. International Journal of Critical Pedagogy 3(3): 54–70.Google Scholar
- Dunbar-Ortiz, R. (2014) An Indigenous People's History of the United States. Beacon Press, Boston.Google Scholar
- Folger, J.P., Bush, R.A.B., and Della Noce, D.J. (2010) Transformative Mediation: A Sourcebook: Resources for Conflict Intervention Practitioners and Programs. Reston, VA; Hempstead, NY: Association for Conflict Resolution; Institute for the Study of Conflict Transformation.Google Scholar
- Foster, K. (2003) A study in mediation styles: A comparative analysis of evaluative and transformative styles. www.mediate.com, accessed 14 March 2018.
- Grossmark, R. and Wright, F. (eds.) (2015) The One and the Many: Relational Approaches to Group Psychotherapy. New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.Google Scholar
- Higginbotham, A.L. and Higginbotham, A.L. (1978) In the Matter of Color: The Colonial Period. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- hooks, b. (1997) Representing whiteness in the black imagination. In: Displacing Whiteness. Durham, NC: Duke University Press, pp. 338–346.Google Scholar
- Kovel, J. (1984) White Racism: A Psychohistory. New York: Columbia University Press.Google Scholar
- Layton, L. (2006) Racial identities, racial enactments, and normative unconscious processes. Psychoanalytic Quarterly 75(1): 237–269. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.2167-4086.2006.tb00039.x.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Layton, L., Hollander, N.C. and Gutwill, S. (eds.) (2006) Psychoanalysis, Class and Politics Encounters in the Clinical Setting. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Morrison, T. (1993) Playing in the Dark: Whiteness and the Literary Imagination. New York: Vintage Books.Google Scholar
- Nweke, C.P. (2011) A case study investigating the interpretation and implementation of the transformative mediation technique (dissertation). Denver, Colorado: Walden University.Google Scholar
- Rankine, C. (2015) The condition of black life is one of mourning. The New York Times Magazine, 22 June.Google Scholar
- Smith, L. and Gladney, M.R. (1994) Killers of the Dream. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Stevenson, B. (2015) Lynching in America: Confronting the Legacy of Racial Terror. Equal Justice Initiative. www.eji.org, accessed 9 March 2018.
- Stolorow, R.D. and Atwood, G.E. (1992) Contexts of Being: The Intersubjective Foundations of Psychological Life. Hillsdale, NJ: Analytic Press.Google Scholar
- Teicholz, J.G. (2006) Qualities of engagement and the analyst’s theory. International Journal of Psychoanalytic Self Psychology 1(1): 47–77.Google Scholar
- Winnicott, D.W. (1971) Playing and Reality. London: Tavistock Publications.Google Scholar
- Wise, T.J. (2010) Colorblind: The Rise of Post-racial Politics and the Retreat From Racial Equity. San Francisco: City Lights Books.Google Scholar
- Zinn, H. (2006) A People’s History of the United States: 1492–present (Reissued, [repr.]). New York: Harper Perennial.Google Scholar