Psychoanalysis, the NHS, and mental health work today
- 40 Downloads
In 1985, having returned to Ireland for my father’s final illness, I was standing beside his bedside when the chief physician came by on his morning rounds. After he had inspected my dad from the foot of the bed, I approached him for a progress report but he walked away. My mother later explained that, since my dad was a “medical card patient,” the doctor would not speak to us on the ward. We would have to see the doctor at his consulting office to get any information, and it was essential to have £40 visible to lubricate the conversation. Thirty years later, and following the unprecedented economic boom known as the Celtic Tiger, Ireland’s public health service is in tatters due to the elimination of physician and nurse positions, and the development of a costly and bloated regulatory structure. Currently, there are 530,000 people on waiting lists for essential inpatient and outpatient services (Cullen, 2016). In 2016, a year in which typically more than 500 patients spend...
- Agamben, G. (2005) State of Exception. Translated by K. Attell. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Ballard, J.G. (2001) Crash: A Novel. London: Picador.Google Scholar
- Bion, W.R. (1961) Experience in Groups and Other Papers. London: Karnac.Google Scholar
- Cresswell, J. (2014) Race is on to profit from rise of urgent care. The New York Times (online). https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/10/business/race-is-on-to-profit-from-rise-of-urgent-care.html, accessed 11 July 2017.
- Cullen, P. (2016) Record 530,000-plus patients on hospital waiting lists. The Irish Times (online). www.irishtimes.com/news/health/record-530-000-plus-patients-on-hospital-waiting-lists-1.2784635, accessed 11 July 2017.
- Hopper, E. (2011) Trauma in Organisations. London: Karnac.Google Scholar
- Jameson, F. (1991) Postmodernism or the Cultural Logic of Late Capitalism. Durham: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Menzies-Lyth, I. (1959/1988) Containing Anxiety in Institutions: Selected Essays. London: Free Association Books.Google Scholar
- O’Regan, E. (2016) 10,000 elderly forced to wait on hospital trolley for nine hours. The Irish Independent (online). http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/10000-elderly-forced-to-wait-on-hospital-trolleys-for-nine-hours-34717508.html, accessed 11 July 2017.
- Patterson, O. (1985) Slavery and Social Death: A Comparative Study. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Scheper-Hughes, N. (2003) A genealogy of genocide. Modern Psychoanalysis 28: 167–197.Google Scholar