A paradigm shift in revenue management? The new landscape of hotel cancellation policies
- 37 Downloads
This study provides empirical evidence on how hotel cancellation policies are changing in recent years. The findings demonstrate that while hotels are experimenting with stricter cancellation windows, their cancellation penalties do not appear to become stricter. We discuss this counterintuitive discrepancy, explaining the rational with theoretical models of price discrimination and empirical observations of consumer behaviour, both within the framework of hotel revenue management practices.
KeywordsCancellation policies Cancellation window Cancellation penalty Hotel industry Revenue management
- Antonio, N., A. de Almeida, and L. Nunes. 2017. Predicting hotel booking cancellations to decrease uncertainty and increase revenue. Tourism & Management Studies 13 (2): 25–39.Google Scholar
- Bureau of Transportation Statistics. 2017. Reservation Cancellation/Change Fees by Airline 2017. https://www.bts.gov/content/reservation-cancellationchange-fees-airline-2017. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Chen, C.C. 2016. Cancellation policies in the hotel, airline and restaurant industries. Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management 15 (3–4): 270–275.Google Scholar
- Chen, C.C., and Z. Schwartz. 2013. On revenue management and last-minute booking dynamics. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 24 (7): 7–22.Google Scholar
- Chen, C.C., Z. Schwartz, and P. Vargas. 2011. The search for the best deal: How hotel cancellation policies affect the search and booking decisions of deal-seeking customers. International Journal of Hospitality Management 30 (1): 129–135.Google Scholar
- Chen, C.C., and K.L. Xie. 2013. Differentiation of cancellation policies in the US hotel industry. International Journal of Hospitality Management 34: 66–72.Google Scholar
- Dylan, S. 2017. Hyatt Introduces Stricter Cancellation Policy for 2018. https://news.get.com/hyatt-introduces-stricter-cancellation-policy-2018/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Genter, J. T. 2017. Marriott Changes Policy, Drops Free Same-Day Cancellations. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/06/marriott-drops-free-same-day-cancellations/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Hanson, B. 2017. U.S. Lodging Industry Fees and Surcharges Forecast to Increase to a New Record Level in 2017—$2.7 Billion. http://www.scps.nyu.edu/about/newsroom/news/2017/u_s_lodging_industry.html. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Janakiraman, N., and L. Ordóñez. 2012. Effect of effort and deadlines on consumer product returns. Journal of Consumer Psychology 22 (2): 260–271.Google Scholar
- Liberman, N., and Y. Trope. 1998. The role of feasibility and desirability considerations in near and distant future decisions: A test of temporal construal theory. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 75 (1): 5.Google Scholar
- Lynch Jr., J.G., and G. Zauberman. 2006. When do you want it? Time, decisions, and public policy. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing 25 (1): 67–78.Google Scholar
- McCarthy, M.S., and E.H. Fram. 2000. An exploratory investigation of customer penalties: Assessment of efficacy, consequences, and fairness perceptions. Journal of Services Marketing 14 (6): 479–501.Google Scholar
- McNutt, E. 2017a. Hilton Follows Marriott’s Lead, Changes Cancellation Policy to 48 Hours. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/hilton-changes-cancellation-policy/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- McNutt, E. 2017b. IHG the Latest Chain to Restrict Its Cancellation Policy. https://thepointsguy.com/2017/08/ihg-changing-cancellation-policy/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Mest, E. 2018. Hyatt the latest to adopt stricter cancellation policy. https://www.hotelmanagement.net/guest-relations/hyatt-latest-to-adopt-stricter-cancellation-policy/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Miller, D. 2017. Cancellation changes give owners inventory control. http://hotelnewsnow.com/Articles/212050/Cancellation-changes-give-owners-inventory-control/. Accessed 23 Aug 2017.
- Montevago, J. 2017. As Hilton Follows Marriott, 48-hour cancellation policies become an industry issue. http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/As-Hilton-Follows-Marriott-48-Hour-Cancellation-Policies-Become-An-Industry-Issue/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Peltier, D. 2016. Hilton CEO says cancellation fees will stick around even if guests hate them, Retrieved online from https://skift.com/2016/02/26/169044/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Riasi, A., Z. Schwartz, and C.C. Chen. 2018. A proposition-based theorizing approach to hotel cancellation practices research. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management 30 (11): 3211–3228.Google Scholar
- Schlappig, B. 2014a. Hilton Changing Global Cancellation Policy. https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/11/10/hilton-changing-global-cancellation-policy/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Schlappig, B. 2014b. Marriott changing global cancellation policy. https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2014/10/12/marriott-changing-global-cancellation-policy/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Schlappig, B. 2017. IHG rolls out stricter cancelation policy in the Americas. https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/08/04/ihg-cancelation-policy-changes/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Schwartz, Z. 2000. Changes in willingness to pay as the date of stay draws closer. Journal of Hospitality & Tourism Research 24 (2): 180–198.Google Scholar
- Schwartz, Z. 2012. “Probability blindness” and last-minute booking of hotel rooms: The case of Bayesian updating. International Journal of Tourism Sciences 12 (2): 63–77.Google Scholar
- Smith, S. J. 2012. The relationship between perceived personal fairness, social fairness, hotel cancellation policies and consumer patronage (Doctoral dissertation). http://etd.fcla.edu/CF/CFE0004269/FINAL_COPY_Scott_Smith_All_chapters_Apr_12_2012.pdf. Accessed 27 July 2016.
- Smith, S.J., H. Parsa, M. Bujisic, and J. van der Rest. 2015. Hotel cancelation policies, distributive and procedural fairness, and consumer patronage: A study of the lodging industry. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing 32 (7): 886–906.Google Scholar
- Trope, Y., and N. Liberman. 2010. Construal-level theory of psychological distance. Psychological Review 117 (2): 440–463.Google Scholar
- Velten, M. 2017. Cancellation policies in combination with scarcity-and social proof appeals: a study into the effects of cancellation policies and persuasion cues on consumer responses within the online booking industry (Master’s thesis). http://essay.utwente.nl/72502/1/Velten_MA_BMS.pdf. Accessed 20 May 2018.
- White, M. 2015. Hilton wants you to pay $50 for what? http://time.com/money/4164197/hilton-new-cancellation-fee/. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- White, M. 2017. New hotel policies mean a late cancellation will cost you. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/business/new-hotel-policies-mean-a-late-cancellation-will-cost-you.html. Accessed 12 May 2018.
- Wiener-Bronner, D. 2017. Marriott cancels its 24-hour cancellation policy. http://money.cnn.com/2017/06/16/news/companies/marriott-cancellation-policy-change/index.html. Accessed 12 May 2018.