Thoughts: premium pricing in B2C and B2B
- 314 Downloads
This paper focuses on the topic of premium pricing in B2C and B2B environments. It clarifies the differences between luxury and premium pricing and offers relevant examples of both. It also identifies five trends that impact premium pricing strategies and that can serve as avenues for further research. To practicing managers, this paper offers guidance on the critical trends affecting premium pricing in the future.
KeywordsPricing Luxury products Premium products Value-based pricing Value quantification
- Crow, D. 2018. Blindness gene therapy is world’s most expensive drug with $850,000 price tag. Financial Times, 4 January, London (UK).Google Scholar
- Flewitt, M. 2013. Presentation: McLaren Automotive. Presentation at the Luxury Retail Summit; 18 August, New York, NY.Google Scholar
- Hinterhuber, A., and T. Snelgrove. 2016. Interview with an expert: Mr Todd Snelgrove, Chief Value Officer, SKF. In Pricing and the Sales Force, ed. A. Hinterhuber, and S. Liozu, 24–29. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Keskinaslan, A. 2011. Role of PE and outcomes research in innovative health financing schemes. Conference Presentation, Singapore; 25 August (slide presentation).Google Scholar
- Liozu, S.M. 2015. The Pricing Journey: The Organizational Transformation Toward Pricing Excellence. Stanford: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Liozu, S.M. 2016. Dollarizing Differentiation Value. Sewickley, PA: VIA Publishing.Google Scholar
- Marchionne, S. 2014. Ferrari Presentation. Fiat Chrysler Investor Day, Auburn Hills, MI; 6 May.Google Scholar
- Nagle, T., J. Hogan, and J. Zale. 2011. The Strategy and Tactics of Pricing: A Guide to Growing More Profitably. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Raithel, R. 2008. Globalisierung aus der Sicht eines Unternehmens—das Beispiel der Loewe AG. Conference Presentation at the “Kronacher Gespräche,” Goldkronach, Germany; November (slide presentation).Google Scholar
- Walpole. 2011. Cracking the Luxury Code. Report. http://static.luxurysociety.com/download/TheDNAofLuxury.pdf.