Lost opportunities in restaurant revenue management
Since, in other industries, revenue management has proven to result in higher productivity and profitability, it is much wanted in the restaurant industry. Therefore, the idea of this research study is to find out “How is restaurant revenue management (RRM) currently managed in full-service restaurants and what RRM developments are expected to be put into practise within the upcoming 1–3 years?”. Regarding the short-term future, no major changes are expected, only the today’s techniques might evolve. New tools and techniques will be introduced later, but depend on the direction that service will go. If RRM becomes more transactional, the restaurant industry will look more like the hotel industry, which includes a standardized service with the emphasis on tools that collect and analyse data automatically. On the contrary, if service becomes more personalized, it will be about emotional engagement, a greater emphasis on loyalty to optimize revenue.
Keywordseffective guest satisfaction service restaurant revenue management
- Barbera, S. (2016) 5 Common Customer Service Mistakes (and How to Avoid Them!). https://www.cgsinc.com/blog/5-common-customer-service-mistakes-and-how-to-avoid-them. accessed 11th Apr 2017.
- Bernardi, R. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Bernardi, Revenue Management Expert at Starwood Hotels & Resorts, on 03 February 2017.Google Scholar
- Butler, M. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Butler, Director of Food & Beverage in Europe, Africa & Middle East regions at Hyatt Hotels Corporation, on 01 February 2017.Google Scholar
- Demoulin, L. and Deschamps A. (2017) Information obtained during an interview at Hotelschool The Hague with Mr Demoulin and Mr Deschamps, Revenue Management Experts at Marriott International, on 17 January 2017.Google Scholar
- Gökşen, S. (2011) Implementing Revenue Management. https://www.few.vu.nl/nl/Images/werkstuk-goksen_tcm243-225780.pdf. accessed 14th Oct 2016.
- Griep, P. (2016) Information obtained from an email from Mr Paul Griep, Director of Industry Relations at Hotelschool The Hague, Amsterdam, on 19 October 2016.Google Scholar
- Hayes, D. and Miller, A. (2011) Revenue management for the Hospitality Industry. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Kimes, S.E. (2004) Restaurant revenue management. Cornell Hospitality Report, 4 (2): 5–34.Google Scholar
- Lodhi, I. (2014) What is the goal of every business? https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/20140709153840-1180943-what-is-the-goal-of-every-business. accessed 5th Oct 2016.
- Lindner, F. (2013) Revenue management. Hospitality Management. (3), p16-21.Google Scholar
- Mos, A. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Mos, Director of Operations at Warsaw Marriott Hotel, on 01 February 2017.Google Scholar
- Mouwen, E. (2017) Information obtained during an interview at The Dylan Amsterdam with Ms Mouwen, Revenue Management Consultant, on 23 February 2017.Google Scholar
- Nenchev, K. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Nenchev, Senior Consultant at PwC Switzerland’s Lodging & Tourism Clients Group, on 1 February 2017.Google Scholar
- Nientied, P. (2013) Zappos: kernwaarden en bedrijfscultuur als basis. https://www.managementsite.nl/zappos-kernwaarden-bedrijfscultuur. accessed 11th Apr 2017.
- Rey, N. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Rey, General Manager of Traders Vic’s Worldwide and Beach Rotana in Abu Dhabi, on 15 February 2017.Google Scholar
- Van Camp, R. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Van Camp, Head of Bars & Restaurants in the European region at InterContinental Hotels Group, on 23 January 2017.Google Scholar
- Van der Geest, J. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Van der Geest, Marketing Expert at the Harbour Club restaurant chain, on 08 March 2017.Google Scholar
- Van Meerendonk, P. (2016) Revenue Management Impacts: How do you measure them? http://hotelexecutive.com/business_review/2783/revenue-management-impacts-how-do-you-measure-them. accessed 16th Aug 2016.
- Van Poppel, W.J.C. (2013) Restaurant Revenue Management in Dutch Culinary Restaurants. Leeuwarden: Stenden University of Applied Sciences.Google Scholar
- Van Poppel, W.J.C. (2016) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Van Poppel, Head of Technical Services Department at Het Concertgebouw, on 19 October 2016.Google Scholar
- Van Rooij, B. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Van Rooij, Revenue Manager of Novotel Rotterdam Brainpark, Ibis Rotterdam City Centre and Ibis Amsterdam Centre Stopera at AccorHotels, on 03 February 2017.Google Scholar
- Van Schie, P. (2015) Drie praktijkvoorbeelden van klantgerichtheid: het mag wel wat Amerikaanser. https://www.customeyes.nl/kennis/blog/verdienen-aan-klantgerichtheid–3-praktijkvoorbeelden/. accessed 11th Apr 2017.
- Van Spaendonk, R.J. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Van Spaendonk, Director of Revenue at the Ritz Carlton Hotel Hong Kong, on 26 January 2017.Google Scholar
- Vermeer, A. (2017) Information obtained during a telephone interview with Mr Vermeer, Director of Restaurant d’Vijff Vlieghen, on 30 January 2017.Google Scholar
- Yeoman, I. (2017) Information obtained during an interview at Novotel Amsterdam City with Mr Yeoman, Editor of the Journal of Revenue & Pricing Management, on 20 January 2017.Google Scholar