Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes (ECHO): a new model for community health worker training and support
More than 50,000 community health workers (CHWs) are employed in the United States (US), a country with no national accreditation or certification program. In the US, CHWs are trained, formally and/or on-the-job, and rarely is long-term mentoring included. We developed a CHW training program using the Extension for Community Healthcare Outcomes (ECHO) model™, distance education using video teleconferencing to support case-based learning, and mentoring of healthcare providers from medically underserved communities. We describe the ECHO model for CHW training and mentoring using case examples and pre/post-surveys from our obesity prevention and addiction recovery programs. Using the ECHO model to train and support CHWs offers advantages over traditional training methods, and can be adapted in other countries to support CHWs to improve health in their communities.
KeywordsCommunity health worker ECHO model Distance education Obesity prevention Addiction recovery
- 2.American Public Health Association. Community Health Workers. 2017. http://www.apha.org/apha-communities/member-sections/community-health-workers. Accessed 15 Jan 2017.
- 3.Perry HB, Crigler L, editors. Developing and strengthening community health worker programs at scale. United States Agency for International Development (USAID). Washington, DC. 2014: http://www.mchip.net/CHWReferenceGuide. Accessed 22 Oct 2017.
- 5.Wadge H, Bhatti Y, Carter A, Harris M, Parston G, Darzi A. Brazil’s family health strategy: using community health care workers to provide primary care. New York, NY: The Commonwealth Fund. 2016. http://www.commonwealthfund.org/publications/case-studies/2016/dec/brazil-family-health-strategy.
- 6.Albritton E. Health equity and health system transformation: how states can fund community health workers through Medicaid to improve people’s health, decrease costs, and reduce disparities. Families ISA: Washington DC. Issue brief: HE-HST071116. 2016. http://familiesusa.org/product/how-states-can-fund-community-health-workers-through-medicaid. Accessed 20 Oct 2017.
- 7.Association of State and Territorial Health Officials. Community health workers (CHWs) training/certification standards. 2017. http://www.astho.org/public-policy/public-health-law/scope-of-practice/chw-certification-standards/. Accessed 15 Jan 2017.
- 16.Arora S, Kalishman S, Dion D, Thornton K, Murata G, Fassler C, et al. Knowledge networks for treating complex diseases in remote, rural, and underserved communities. In: McKee A, Eraut M, editors. Learning trajectories, innovation and identity for professional development. Springer: Netherlands; 2011. pp. 47–70.Google Scholar
- 17.Miller WR, Rollnick S. Motivational interviewing: preparing people to change addictive behavior. New York: Guilford Press; 1991.Google Scholar
- 20.Rosenthal EL, Rush CH, Allen CG Understanding the scope and competencies: a contemporary look at the United States community health worker field. Progress report of the community health worker (CHW) core consensus (C3) project. C3 Project. 2016. http://www.chwcentral.org/understanding-scope-and-competencies-contemporary-look-united-states-community-health-worker-field. Accessed 29 Sept 2017.
- 22.Earth institute one million community health workers: technical task force report. New York, NY: Colombia University. 2011. http://www.heart-resources.org/doc_lib/one-million-community-health-workers-technical-task-force-report/.
- 23.Perry H, Zulliger R, Scott K, Javadi D, Gergen J, Shelley K, et al. Case studies of large-scale community health worker programs: Examples from Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Ethiopia, Niger, India, Indonesia, Iran, Nepal, Pakistan, Rwanda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. United States Agency for International Development, Washington, DC (US). 2017. http://www.mcsprogram.org/resource/case-studies-large-scale-community-health-worker-programs-2/. Accessed 17 Oct 2017.
- 24.State Community Health Worker Models. National Academy for State Health Policy. 2017. http://www.nashp.org/state-community-health-worker-models/. Accessed 15 Aug 2017.
- 25.Jaskiewicz W, Tulenko K. Increasing community health worker productivity and effectiveness: a review of the influence of the work environment. Hum Resour Health. 2012;10(38):1–9.Google Scholar
- 27.Mazzuoccolo LD, Marciano S, Echeverria CM. Implementación de una modalidad de educación médica a distancia en psoriasis (Implementation of a modality of distance medical education in psoriasis). Medicine. 2016;76(6):359–61.Google Scholar
- 28.Coates EA, Waisbord S, Awale J, Solomon R, Dey R. Successful polio eradication in Uttar Pradesh, India: the pivotal contribution of the Social Mobilization Network, an NGO/UNICEF collaboration. Global Health. 2013;1(1):68–83.Google Scholar