Transforming Our World: Implementing the 2030 Agenda Through Sustainable Development Goal Indicators
- 741 Downloads
The United Nations’ 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development recognizes violence as a threat to sustainability. To serve as a context, we provide an overview of the Sustainable Development Goals as they relate to violence prevention by including a summary of key documents informing violence prevention efforts by the World Health Organization (WHO) and Violence Prevention Alliance (VPA) partners. After consultation with the United Nations (UN) Inter-Agency Expert Group on Sustainable Development Goal Indicators (IAEG-SDG), we select specific targets and indicators, featuring them in a summary table. Using the diverse expertise of the authors, we assign attributes that characterize the focus and nature of these indicators. We hope that this will serve as a preliminary framework for understanding these accountability metrics. We include a brief analysis of the target indicators and how they relate to promising practices in violence prevention.
Keywordssustainable development violence prevention indicators accountability measures
- 1.United Nations. (2015) General Assembly Resolution A/RES/70/1. Transforming Our World, the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. [cited 2016 Feb 10]. Available from: http://www.un.org/ga/search/view_doc.asp?symbol=A/RES/70/1&Lang=E.
- 2.Pereznieto, P., Montes, A., Routier, S., Langston, L. (2014) The Costs and Economic Impact of Violence Against Children. London: Overseas Development Institute, Child fund Alliance.Google Scholar
- 3.WHO (1986) Ottawa charter for health promotion. First International Conference on Health Promotion; 21 November 1986, Ottawa, Canada. Ottawa: World Health Organization.Google Scholar
- 4.Kjaerulf, F., Lee, B., Cohen, L., Donnelly, P., Turner, S., Davies, R., Realini, A., Moloney-Kitts, M., Gordon, R., Lee, G. and Gilligan, J. (forthcoming) The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development – A golden opportunity for global violence prevention. International Journal of Public Health, in press.Google Scholar
- 5.United Nations Inter-Agency Expert Group on Sustainable Development Goal Indicators. (2015) Results of the list of indicators reviewed at the second IAEG-SDG meeting. New York, NY: United Nations Statistics Division. [cited 2016 May 27] Available from: http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/files/meetings/iaeg-sdgs-meeting-02/Outcomes/Agenda%20Item%204%20-%20Review%20of%20proposed%20indicators%20-%202%20Nov%202015.pdf.
- 6.Muggah, R. (2015) Counting Conflict Deaths: Options for SDG 16.1. Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil: Igarapé Institute. 2015 Oct 15. Available from: https://igarape.org.br/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/counting-conflict-deaths-muggah-2015.pdf.
- 7.Muggah, R. and Mack, A. (2016) An Accounting of Conflict is Central to the Sustainable Development Goals. ODI HPN. 2016 Jan 20 [cited 2016 Apr 4]. Available from: http://odihpn.org/blog/an-accounting-of-conflict-deaths-is-central-to-the-new-sustainable-development-goals/.
- 8.World Health Organization. (2014) Global Status Report on Violence Prevention. Geneva: World Health Organization, p. viii.Google Scholar
- 10.Waller, I. (2008) Less Law More Order: The Truth About Reducing Crime. Hamilton: Manor House Publishing.Google Scholar
- 11.Waller, I. (2013) Smarter Crime Control: A Guide to a Safer Future for Citizens, Communities, and Politicians. Lahman: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers.Google Scholar
- 12.Muggah, R. (2015) A manifesto for the fragile city--JIA SIPA. Journal of International Affairs 68(2): 19–36.Google Scholar
- 13.OECD. States of fragility 2015. 2015 Mar 26 [cited 2016 Apr 1]. Available from: http://www.oecd.org/dac/states-of-fragility-2015-9789264227699-en.htm.
- 16.Donnelly, P.D., Ward, C.L. (eds.) (2014) Oxford Textbook of Violence Prevention: Epidemiology, Evidence, and Policy. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- 17.Cohen, L. and Davies, R. (2006) The Prevention Institute. [Website]. Prevention institute; 2006 [cited 2016 Apr 4]. Available from: http://www.preventioninstitute.org/.
- 19.United Nations General Assembly. (2016) Update on the work of the IAEG- SDGs, Informal Briefing on the Global Indicator Framework for the SDGs, New York. 2016 Jan 28 [cited 2016 March 6]. Available from: http://unstats.un.org/sdgs/files/ga-briefing-28-Jan-2016/PGA-Briefing–Status-of-IAEG-SDGs-work-on-global-SDG-indicators-28-Jan-2016.pdf.