The use of analytics to market the sustainability of “Unique” products
- 51 Downloads
Creating a “unique” or differentiated product is every company’s goal. But, how does the company sustain its product’s uniqueness? While sustainability is popular, it remains an elusive goal for entrepreneurs of unique products. It is elusive because the concept of sustainability is difficult to market to those who are resistant to change, who question the need for sustainability concepts, or who are reluctant to purchase differentiated products. Can marketing analytics help? This paper presents a case study of where analytics did support an effort to market a product that was considered unique and difficult to sustain without analytics in a competitive market. The case is Domino’s AnyWare™.
KeywordsBusiness analytics case study Marketing unique products Sustainability Differentiated product
- Allen, Nathan. 2018. 4 Key Trends Happening Now In Biz Ed. https://poetsandquantsforundergrads.com/2018/01/10/four-important-trends-happening-now-business-education/. Poets and Quants for Undergrads, January 10. Retrieved May 2018.
- Ariker, Matt, Alejandro Diaz, Christine Moorman, and Mike Westover. 2015. Quantifying the Impact of Marketing Analytics. Harvard Business Review, November 5.Google Scholar
- Brown, Philip. 2013. How to Create a Unique Product. https://www.culttt.com/2013/05/29/how-to-create-a-unique-product/. Cultt. Retrieved May 2018.
- Chaudhuri, Saabira. 2018. H&M Ramps up Data Use. The Wall Street Journal, May 8.Google Scholar
- CMO Survey. 2017. Marketers to Spend on Analytics; Use Remains Elusive. https://cmosurvey.org/2017/02/cmo-survey-marketers-to-spend-on-analytics-use-remains-elusive/. February 28. Retrieved March 2018.
- Davenport, Thomas H., and Jeanne G., Harris. 2017. Competing on Analytics: The New Science of Winning. Boston: Harvard Business Review Press. ISBN: 978-1-63369-373-9.Google Scholar
- Driscoll, Elizabeth, Clare L. Comm, and Dennis F.X. Mathaisel. 2013. A Lesson Plan for Sustainability in Higher Education. American Journal of Business Education 6 (2): 1–12.Google Scholar
- Evans, James R. 2012. Business Analytics: The Next Frontier for Decisions Sciences. Decision Line 43 (2): 4–6.Google Scholar
- Forbes. 2016. Big Data-Driven Decision-Making at Domino’s Pizza. https://www.forbes.com/sites/bernardmarr/2016/04/06/big-data-driven-decision-making-at-dominos-pizza/#5c5ead442b8e. Retrieved March 2018.
- Grace Communications Foundation. 2017. The Meat to Eat. http://www.sustainabletable.org/1649/the-meat-to-eat. Retrieved May 2018.
- Hawes, K.L., R.W. Reczek, and K.L. Sample. 2017. Healthy Diets Make Empty Wallets: The Healthy = Expensive Intuition. Journal of Consumer Research 43 (6): 992–1007.Google Scholar
- Hsu, John. 2014. Why Big Data Will Have a Big Impact on Sustainability. The Carbon Trust, January 31.Google Scholar
- Judkis, Maura. 2017. The days of ‘Whole Paycheck’ are over. Here’s how the Amazon-Whole Foods deal affects you. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/food/wp/2017/08/24/the-amazon-whole-foods-deal-closes-monday-are-the-days-of-whole-paycheck-over/?utm_term=.105bf8861f09. The Washington Post, August 24. Retrieved May 2018.
- Kowitt, Beth. 2017. Can Amazon Finally Kill Whole Foods’ ‘Whole Paycheck’ Reputation? http://fortune.com/2017/08/24/amazon-whole-foods-lowering-prices/. Fortune, August 24. Retrieved May 2018.
- Mathaisel, Dennis, Joel Manary, and Clare Comm. 2009. Enterprise Sustainability: Enhancing the Military’s Ability to Perform Its Mission, 337. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group.Google Scholar
- Organic Trade Association. 2017. Robust Organic Sector Stays on Upward Climb, Posts New Records in U.S. Sales. www.ota.com/news/press-releases/19681. Retrieved May 2018.
- Peattie, Ken, and Frank-Martin Belz. 2010. Sustainability Marketing: An Innovative Conception of Marketing, 5. St. Gallen: Marketing Review.Google Scholar
- Reuters. 2017. What Industry Analysts and Insiders Are Saying About Amazon Buying Whole Foods. http://fortune.com/2017/06/16/amazon-buying-whole-foods-analysts/. Fortune, June 16. Retrieved May 2018.
- Statista. 2018. Revenue of Domino’s Pizza worldwide from 2006 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars). Retrieved March 2018.Google Scholar
- Uberoi, Ravneet. 2017. Zara: Achieving the “Fast” in Fast Fashion through Analytics. https://digit.hbs.org/submission/zara-achieving-the-fast-in-fast-fashion-through-analytics/. Harvard Business School. Digital Innovation and Transformation. Retrieved May 2018.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2017. Organic Market Overview. https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/natural-resources-environment/organic-agriculture/organic-market-overview.aspx. Retrieved May 2018.
- Weed, Keith. 2017. Report shows a third of consumers prefer sustainable brands. https://www.unilever.com/news/Press-releases/2017/report-shows-a-third-of-consumers-prefer-sustainable-brands.html. Unilever. Retrieved March 2017.