Portfolio optimization with covered calls
- 3 Downloads
Covered calls are traditionally formed as an overlay on an existing portfolio. Our analysis suggests that covered calls formed in two steps by first optimizing underlying equity positions and then selecting call overwriting weights are not risk-return optimal in general. We introduce an optimization framework which simultaneously selects underlying asset positions and call options to sell to form risk-return optimal covered call portfolios. Call option market prices form a critical part of the expected return and risk expressions. Variance of the return, semivariance of the return, and conditional value-at-risk are used as risk measures. The model was first tested by forming covered call portfolios composed of three indices and then by forming portfolios using 92 U.S. equities. We find that selling call options not only reduces risk, but when selected optimally can also benefit the expected return.
KeywordsCovered call Portfolio optimization Mean–variance optimization Conditional value-at-risk Semivariance Options
- Bank of Montreal. 2018. BMO US High Dividend Covered Call ETF Fact Sheet. March 2018. https://www.bmo.com/gam/ca/advisor/products/etfs?fundUrl=/fundProfile/ZWH. Accessed 2 Jan 2019.
- BlackRock. 2018. Enhanced Capital and Income Fund Fact Sheet. March 2018. https://www.blackrock.com/investing/literature/fact-sheet/cii-enhanced-capital-and-income-fund-factsheet-us09256a1097-us-en-individual.pdf. Accessed 2 Jan 2019.
- Callan Associates. 2006. An Historical Evaluation of the CBOE S&P 500 BuyWrite Index Strategy. October 2006. www.cboe.com/micro/bxm/Callan_CBOE.pdf.
- Feldman, B.E., and D. Roy. 2004. Passive Options-Based Investment Strategies: The Case of the CBOE S&P 500 BuyWrite Index. ETFs and Indexing, No. 1 (2004), 72–89.Google Scholar
- Gao, R., and A.J. Kleywegt. 2016. Distributionally Robust Stochastic Optimization with Wasserstein Distance. arXiv preprint arXiv:1604.02199 (2016).
- He, D.X., J.C. Hsu, and N. Rue. 2014. Option Writing Strategies in a Low Volatility Framework. Working paper, April 2014. www.ssrn.com/abstract=2433676. Accessed 2 Jan 2019.
- Maidel, S., and K. Sahlin. 2010. Capturing the Volatility Premium Through Call Overwriting. Russell Research, December 2010. www.cboe.com/micro/Buywrite/Russell-2010-12-VolatilityPremiumthroughCallOverwriting.pdf. Accessed 2 Jan 2019.
- Manulife. 2018. Manulife Covered Call U.S. Equity Fund Fact Sheet. March 2018. https://funds.manulife.ca/api/mutual/pdf/240e-en-us. Accessed 2 Jan 2019.
- Michaud, R.O., and R.O. Michaud. 2008. Efficient Asset Management: A Practical Guide to Stock Portfolio Optimization and Asset Allocation. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Yang G.Z. 2011. Buy-Write or Put-Write: An Active Index Writing Portfolio to Strike it Right. Working paper, May 2011. www.ssrn.com/abstract=1827363. Accessed 2 Jan 2019.